Using engine oil as chain oil

magwick

There is no problem using fresh clean engine oil as chain lube - all mineral oils (engine, gearbox, chain etc) are manufactured from the same 'base' oil. From a health and environment perspective it is no different to running any other mineral based chain lube.

Thinning with paraffin seems very strange though.

I have run saws on engine oil in the past, as it has been cheaper to buy good quality 15w40 from Europarts than chain oil from just about anywhere, even when buying in bulk (ie 600l plus at a time). I can only imagine that it either comes down to supply and demand, or profiteering on the part of the chain oil producers/retailers. However, I recently bought a pallet of chain oil from Ryeoils (on here) and it was both good value when compared to engine oil and good quality. Tesco veg oil is ok when necessary, but I have found that big bars don't seem to like it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was clogging the oil pumps

Veg oil can do that eventually, if the saw is left sitting without preperation for a long time - but it won't do it on a saw that is used weekly, or even monthly.

It will also "glue" the the chain to the bar, and the nose sprocket to the bar body. Veg oil is very nice to use though, so I won't stop using it.

It is best to run one tank of regular bar oil trough the saw before storage - that should keep those issues away!

Don't ask me how I learned this. :cursing:

Edited by SawTroll

Only in an emergency have i used new engine oil, perhaps it wasnt on board and too far from yd or dealer. Even then its only for a day at most, so what 5 6 tankfulls. But certainly not as an everyday occurence.

I would also do it in an emergency - but not on purpose..

Do you not get problems mixing vegetable and mineral oil ?

I inspected car where owner had topped up using his sons vegetable oil ( for his racing go kart)

The oil mixture had formed a thick sludge that wouldn't pump, wrecking the engine ....

His insurer covered him but I was always dubious thinking it was a way to get a knackered engine replaced foc

Whilst I agree that solvents won't touch it, near boiling water will will do the trick. Run it through the tank to solve oil pumps blocked with veg oil without dismantling.

By the same token, a steam cleaner on the saw will sort veg gunk on the outside.

Blimey, it's not every day you can teach Spud a new trick!:lol:

I have tried a steam cleaner and it was hopless - I have a can of solvent from my printing days that works - the only boiling water I have in my workshop is in my tea:lol:

I don't like water on saws - tend to set in rust in bearings and the clutch but may be OK on dismantled plastic parts, I may experiment one day:thumbup:

would you put chain oil in your truck????...no only an idiot would do that,so why put engine oil in a £500 to £1000 pound saw. 20 years ago people did it because supply availability was limited and there were less environmental restrictions,obviously some people haven't moved on!!

Its not that much money involved though is it, the oil only sees the tank pump bar and chain, of those only the bar and chain are anything like at risk

The oil mixture had formed a thick sludge that wouldn't pump, wrecking the engine ....

His insurer covered him but I was always dubious thinking it was a way to get a knackered engine replaced foc

What insurance covers engine damage ? Mine only covers accidents. If I blew the engine up it would be down to me to repair it but if I crash into someone they will pay to repair both vehicles.

I can buy 5 litres of chain oil for £15 inc. vat so a vat registered firm would be able to claim the £3 vat back, how cheap are they buying engine oil ?

The little hand held steam cleaners don't generate much water and would probably work well on saw gunk.

Edited by peatff

What insurance covers engine damage ? Mine only covers accidents. If I blew the engine up it would be down to me to repair it but if I crash into someone they will pay to repair both vehicles.

He claimed it was an accident and put claim in ....

I was amazed they paid for it too......but they did

Guess you have to read policy very carefully ...potential for fraud was enormous

Do you not get problems mixing vegetable and mineral oil ?

I inspected car where owner had topped up using his sons vegetable oil ( for his racing go kart)

Not that I have notised - and the bar oil isn't getting into the engine, unless the case gasket is leaking of course.