Log Gasification Boilers

County 764

Thanks for the replies guys :thumbup:

I thought this boiler looked ok

http://www.ecoangus.co.uk/ecoangus_images/super65/index.html

Randomly, that boiler place is quite close to me and I was there a week or so ago to go to the restaurant. Wish I'd known they had a boiler shop too, I'd have had a look!

Looks a good range of boilers to me, though I don't know much about them. Be interested if you get one from there in spec, price, consumption etc. Looks tempting!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(i) Get a demonstration of how they are lit, our (& like many other cheaper) boiler only has 2 doors.

Therefore Require to place kindling and finer bone dry firing down in the grate, and then quite akward to reach down in to light.

And wait for that fire to get well established, before adding the main charge of logs.

The better designed boilers have a third door to light through, which means the boiler can be pre-loaded with the full charge of logs, which will be warming up and therefore be easier to light the next day.(assuming the previous fire is out with no embers)

Some manufacturers claim (but probably based on hardwood=Beech firing) that their boilers will retain hot embers for 24 hours, sufficient to re-kindle the next days load of firing.

I suspect this would not work with Conifer firewood.

(ii) Look for a boiler with a suction fan on the flue, this way it will draw any smoke out if the door is opened mid burn.

Look at HOW the boiler tubes are accessed to be cleaned!!!(Turobulators aside)

There are differences.

Study up the ergonomic layout of your boilerroom set up.

which way does the door open?

Where will you bring the logs in.

Have you room to keep a barrowful of logs in overning to be warming up to light the next day.

etc

etc

etc

marcus

(i) Get a demonstration of how they are lit, our (& like many other cheaper) boiler only has 2 doors.

Therefore Require to place kindling and finer bone dry firing down in the grate, and then quite akward to reach down in to light.

And wait for that fire to get well established, before adding the main charge of logs.

The better designed boilers have a third door to light through, which means the boiler can be pre-loaded with the full charge of logs, which will be warming up and therefore be easier to light the next day.(assuming the previous fire is out with no embers)

Some manufacturers claim (but probably based on hardwood=Beech firing) that their boilers will retain hot embers for 24 hours, sufficient to re-kindle the next days load of firing.

I suspect this would not work with Conifer firewood.

(ii) Look for a boiler with a suction fan on the flue, this way it will draw any smoke out if the door is opened mid burn.

Look at HOW the boiler tubes are accessed to be cleaned!!!(Turobulators aside)

There are differences.

Study up the ergonomic layout of your boilerroom set up.

which way does the door open?

Where will you bring the logs in.

Have you room to keep a barrowful of logs in overning to be warming up to light the next day.

etc

etc

etc

marcus

Thanks Marcus

That's some very useful information:thumbup: I've been sent some information on Attack and froling log boilers not had a chance to fully read up on them yet .

But I do like the look of this one after reading your post

S4 Turbo

thanks

mark

One other consideration is where your nearest dealer/service center is. If you go for a sophisticated boiler and something goes wrong and the nearest service center is miles away it could be a pain. You should also look at the Therminator II by Solar Focus. We opted for this one as it can run on firewood or pellets. Starts automatically when needed and can be controlled with a smart phone so when on holiday we could text/e mail it to start up and the house would be warm when we come home:thumbup::thumbup: Hope to get it fitted by the end of the year when the extension is finished. Also putting up a purpose built shed so once the wood has been in the stick shed for a year to dry I'll build it into the boiler shed for the wife to load the boiler when I,m at work (28/28 rotation). I've also asked the supplier A&D heating Fivie Aberdeenshire to be put in touch with some customers that already have the boiler so we and get a real objective point of view about the day to day running of the boiler! obviously they will only send me to a happy customer but still they are willing for me to visit and speak to using customers. The RHI payments are help as installation and boiler costs are all that I will cover over the 7 year RHI domestic scheme.

Good luck with it County.

Callum

Forgot to say the dealers close by. Also forgot to say you will need a green deal assessment done on your property and if you have insulated your farm house without planning permission so there is no record of the amount of insulation in the house it may be worth while not telling the whole truth about the amount of insulation as your Domestic RHI payments will be based on this assessment! Obviously I would not condone or advise you to do such a thing, and take advantage of a scheme that our PERFECT Government has put in place. :lol::lol::lol: You can also only get payments for a boiler of 45kw max size on the domestic scheme.

Good luck

Callum

We're getting an Eco Angus Orligno 40KW installed in August along with a 3000l thermal store. This is the cheaper end of the spectrum as far a log boilers go but they have good reputation. They are re-badged Eko Vimar-Orlanski boilers built in Poland. Very successful in USA. No lambda sensor but solid and simple.

Good review of installation here ... 4 year report on my 25kW gasifying wood burner install (now with solar!)

I just need to find a decent BSL seasoned wood supplier in Lincolnshire for 43 cubic metres!

Edited by MonsterMonster

The RHI might?, just might swing it.

but

unless you have access to your own byproduct wood fuel, or your own woodland and the machinery and physical fitness to harvest the timber, I cannot see the sums adding up.

IF one factors in ones own fuel stacking/carting/storing and boiler lighting and tending duties.

And room to store the fuel, ideally on a multi year basis.

Simply not worth it imnsho.

heating oil or gas is cheap and dead convient in comparison.

And

IF paying for woodfuel I strongly suspect the added efficiency of the Lambda control would be a good investment

cheers

m

PS

Ah bin heating with wood for near 8 years, yes it works, but there are significent costs and committments.

The RHI might?, just might swing it.

but

unless you have access to your own byproduct wood fuel, or your own woodland and the machinery and physical fitness to harvest the timber, I cannot see the sums adding up.

IF one factors in ones own fuel stacking/carting/storing and boiler lighting and tending duties.

And room to store the fuel, ideally on a multi year basis.

Simply not worth it imnsho.

heating oil or gas is cheap and dead convient in comparison.

And

IF paying for woodfuel I strongly suspect the added efficiency of the Lambda control would be a good investment

cheers

m

PS

Ah bin heating with wood for near 8 years, yes it works, but there are significent costs and committments.

Totally agree. If you have to buy the timber in, even with the RHI it would be questionable if it would be cost effective!! Also if you counted your time and running costs of equipment, saws, tractor, splitter of cutting up logs delivered from FC it would be questionable. But being a sad git myself I quite enjoy firewood at this time in my life but that may change and is one of the reasons I've opted for a dual pellet/log gasification boiler. and why its going into its own shed with room for stored dry wood and maybe in the future a pellet store! And same as Difflock my house is already heated with wood. The other problem/drawback with the ECO ANGUS is it has to be fired manually rather than automatic which means you'd have to manage your heat store manually, rather than just checking the boiler and refilling the fire box when required, and the boiler deciding when to fire up to top up the heat store. Good luck with it you could spend a lot and get a very sophisticated system that is all automatic and emails you when it needs to be filled or spent a little less and manage it manually whatever the choice is it can only be a good thing to burn a renewable product to heat your house. The RHI certainly makes it more attractive:thumbup::thumbup:

Edited by CallumA
because i can't spell

• 2 weeks later...
Forgot to say the dealers close by. Also forgot to say you will need a green deal assessment done on your property and if you have insulated your farm house without planning permission so there is no record of the amount of insulation in the house it may be worth while not telling the whole truth about the amount of insulation as your Domestic RHI payments will be based on this assessment! Obviously I would not condone or advise you to do such a thing, and take advantage of a scheme that our PERFECT Government has put in place. :lol::lol::lol: You can also only get payments for a boiler of 45kw max size on the domestic scheme.

Good luck

Callum

Thanks Callum

some of the house is getting new insulation at the moment so will take photos of those areas to show the assessor. Wont mention the areas that haven't been done

Cheers

Mark

I may be wrong here but i think callum was hinting at the oppisate.

ie the less insulation= more heat to heat it= bigger RHI payment.

So better of telling them whole house un/poorly insulated

Meant to add wots a lambda sensor? I thought i had done a bit of reading up on them but can't remember coming across that (unless i'm looking at the cheaper ones0

Edited by countrryboy