would you pass an inspection

Rod

Dean,

I'm not saying that a rescue climber will always be able to effect a rescue. The question in this thread is would the HSE be happy with your site.

If the HSE visit you doing climbing work, and you have not got someone to perform rescue "without delay" then they will stop you from working in the first instance.

Then they will either give you an improvement notice, or start legal proceedings, which could result in a hefty fine. (Look at HSE web site for arb' updates which give some examples)

This would be the HSEs view- the one that matters, my personal opinions do not.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dean,

I'm not saying that a rescue climber will always be able to effect a rescue. The question in this thread is would the HSE be happy with your site.

If the HSE visit you doing climbing work, and you have not got someone to perform rescue "without delay" then they will stop you from working in the first instance.

Then they will either give you an improvement notice, or start legal proceedings, which could result in a hefty fine. (Look at HSE web site for arb' updates which give some examples)

Not if it's your firm and you are the the climber, if you have a climber working for you, you have a duty of care over them and must be able show you have provided for their protection.

In that case I would have to go to court and prove that having a rescue climber on site at that time would make no difference whatsoever.

I have a rescue climber when needed, which is more than the cowboys do.

What really annoys me is Health and Safety was first introduced to save life. What it has become is an interference with silly things being introduced which do not save life, they just make the job harder and us less competetive.

All this has happened because the majority of people roll over and accept it grumbling to themselves but without voicing their veiws.

Thats what this forum is for ( correct me if I'm wrong steve) to air differeing veiws about current practices, legislation or proposed. I'm sorry but I am one of these that doesn't just accept things I dont agree with.

We have become a nation or namby pambys with no back bone, which really annoys me.

If you did everything you were supposed to do from first parade of your vehicles and equipment to on going RA's and MS's you would have to start packing up your gear before you've got it out.

I'm happy I would personally pass an HSE inspection (as a freelance climber), not sure whether some of the firms I've worked for would. That said, I haven't seen an HSE man in 15 years, it seems to me they only rock up after a bad accident/death/tip off?!

Working for a large financial institution we had to submit our risk ass / method statment every time we work for them. it used to say 'a site safety officer will check the site.....'. we were picked up on the wording as none of us are qualified as site safety officers.

I'd like to think that we'd pass.

Jamie

Skyhuck,

you will find that the H&SatWAct, with all relevant associated Regs do apply to the self employed.

You wouldn't get away without wearing PPE or not LOLER ing your climbing kit etc.

I'm afraid it all applies to you.:sad:

Dean, I haven't said if I agree with you or not. (You do have valid points, for the record),

but do not think that HSE man will think you are doing it all ok.

Good luck in arguing your point if you ever have to. The HSE will use industry guidance (AFAG's and GTGCP), and expert witnesses to prove there way is the only way!:sad:

You wouldn't get away without wearing PPE or not LOLER ing your climbing kit etc.

:sad:

If you could prove that there was a valid reaon for not wearing anything but a thong then so be it. PPE is best practise not law. Its the same old argument.:bored::001_smile:

Dean, I haven't said if I agree with you or not. (You do have valid points, for the record),

but do not think that HSE man will think you are doing it all ok.

Good luck in arguing your point if you ever have to. The HSE will use industry guidance (AFAG's and GTGCP), and expert witnesses to prove there way is the only way!:sad:

No problem Blakes. But I'm sure there is more than just me fed up with rediculous "guidance" and that is all it is, guidance.

They may go by guidance I will draw on real world experience, like topping 20ft wide conifers