VOSA and Clear diesel vis-a-vis red diesel

difflock

I can't understand all the anti farmer bitterness, they get subsidies because they compete in a world market, you don't have to sell your products or services whilst competing against the whole of the EU and beyond. Your prices are relatively stable, grain can be half the price one year than it was the previous year, yet production costs remain the same.

Imagine selling your logs for half what you did last year, still fancy doing them?

It's not (for my part) anti-farmer sentiment, it is however a frustration with the obscure and insane nature of the subsidies.

For example, peas & beans qualifying as an Eco friendly crop by virtue of the nitrogen fix in the soil rather than any tangible benefit to biodiversity, additional subsidy to grub out hill farm to increase grazing productivity regardless of the contributory effect on lowland flooding, then, just for comedic value, further additional funding to instal upland water capture systems, like trading in the subsidy payable to land owners not to the actual person farming the land. All of this is total madness and that's not to mention business rate exemption, planning concessions, VAT et al. Do you really think farmers are the only sector trading in the international market? Whilst I agree, it would make for an untenable situation to burden UK farming with (normal business operating costs) associated with any other business sector if EU counterparts are not similarly burdened, but that's hardly a sound basis of argument to justify the status quo. Personally, I think the days of the EU (as we have come to know it) are numbered and with it the farm subsidies as we know them.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some years ago a loaded straw lorry from Wales went over on a roundabout near here. Police saw red running out of the tank and called VOSA. They requested a meeting with the owner at the recovery yard to where the truck had been recovered. He turns up and gets done, just as he is leaving VOSA ask what vech he came up in ( a Range Rover Diesel), so they dipped that, red again, so he got done twice.

I have run diesel light vans ( 10 at one point) and Landrovers since 1986, none of my vehicles have ever been dipped. So the guy is right,its very unlikely.

A

Up until about 5 years ago here in west wales the only time you ever heard of people getting dipped was at big shows or horse marts etc but since then the authorities hold regular roadside checkpoints even in quite rural areas not just the main A roads. I've been dipped twice in the last 3 years.

Would it not be far simpler to scrap red diesel and just have white. Then those that are legitimate users put a claim in every quarter for a refund. Revenue for the government would go up and assist the economy.

I've said this before. Its just too simple. Like moving clocks 1/2 an hr one last time. Instead of the disruptive faff, we currently go through twice a year.:banghead:

I've said this before. Its just too simple. Like moving clocks 1/2 an hr one last time. Instead of the disruptive faff, we currently go through twice a year.:banghead:

How would you prove what you had been using the fuel for?

I've just read the link open spaceman's put up. Its pretty clear that if you use a tractor for tree surgery, of can be run on red. This is not what I thought, happy days. So if I register a 4x4 lorry or mog as a tractor, it can also be run on red (I think). Also talks about delivery of goods to market, so sale of chip and cord from site directly to the customer is OK (I think).

Anyone disagree with this?

Cheers

Mark

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

So if I register a 4x4 lorry or mog as a tractor, it can also be run on red (I think). Also talks about delivery of goods to market, so sale of chip and cord from site directly to the customer is OK

Not so, the carriage of goods is restricted to a forestry or agricultural undertaking. This would not include the carriage of arb waste or timber from a domestic job.

Not so, the carriage of goods is restricted to a forestry or agricultural undertaking. This would not include the carriage of arb waste or timber from a domestic job.

My reading of it is that tree surgery is a hort activity regardless of client and waste can be removed to a tip site and to a place of sale. Not saying I'm correct, but it's handy to bounce interpretations about.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

My reading of it is that tree surgery is a hort activity regardless of client and waste can be removed to a tip site and to a place of sale. Not saying I'm correct, but it's handy to bounce interpretations about.

I'm not sure of the status of this notice but I agree if you read the paragraph above the one I quoted it says that clearing up after a hedge cutting operation is allowable, so the same should be true of an arb job in a garden. It still wouldn't hold for a job in a park or development site as I read it. Nor would you be covered if you just went to the garden to pick up arisings.

Open space man, that's my understanding as well now. Opens another vehicle option for me and possibly save me a bit of money. Cheers for the steer.

Mark

Sent from my GT-S7710 using Arbtalk mobile app