Chipper oil change...

Ty Korrigan

(Mountain man)

I was merely highlighting that first the price you pay a dealer to do the oil change service is not just for removing the sump plug and fitting some filters

Secondly the filters as stated earlier come to £41.26 that's before any labour cost incurred

Thirdly a dealer should know and stock the correct grade/type of oil filters and follow the correct practice in fitting/installing these service parts

So your not just paying some over charged labour costs

There's two sides to most things!!

Is it a chipper, is it a mower or another broken stump grinder who cares we'll fix it!

All true, however the question was not "what should a dealer do?" but "how much for an oil change and fuel filter":sneaky2:

So, how much?:001_smile:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Mountain man)

I was merely highlighting that first the price you pay a dealer to do the oil change service is not just for removing the sump plug and fitting some filters

Secondly the filters as stated earlier come to £41.26 that's before any labour cost incurred

Thirdly a dealer should know and stock the correct grade/type of oil filters and follow the correct practice in fitting/installing these service parts

So your not just paying some over charged labour costs

There's two sides to most things!!

Is it a chipper, is it a mower or another broken stump grinder who cares we'll fix it!

Not much need for large amounts of stock any more

Between the four or five factors that cover my area, I can have whatever I need delivered to me within hours and most of the time under an hour.

Keeps prices keen as well:thumbup1:

I never claimed anyone was overcharging.

But if it's a matter of an oil change plus air, fuel and oil filter it's so easy just do it yourself.

A small amount of mechanical nous can save a lot of money.

Paying someone can though can save a lot of time which is also money. Oil changes don't take long but whilst my chipper is in for service I can be out pricing or doing something else. I also know that when mine is serviced everything is checked and potential problems identified. Horses for courses though.

Depending where it goes it is between 30 and 50 an hour + parts

That returns to my earlier point !

If it's due a service the it's due more than a quick oil and filter change!!! (Half a job!)

What ever the equipment is it needs the correct maintenance the engine might be running but not much use if the rest of it fails !

It's not all about the ability to twist a filter and poor some oil it's about being able to spot things going 'Peat Tong ' before they do! Making sure the grease nipples which get missed day to day get greased at least at service intervals (and it gets high lighted what's not getting maintained)

Prevention is better than cure !

And costs less in the long run !

Speak for yourself. I wouldn't know where to start, nor do I have any desire to learn.

He he he he......

I always like to get the spanners out, but, another view is whilst you are spannering, you aren't earning AND spending..... Whilst it is in the dealers, you could be out earning the money they want and you should be safe in the knowledge that it is all being done correctly!