Harvester heads

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Komatsu's dreams! Viking heads seem to be most common replacement on Valmets / Komatsu's.

SP heads - blow up with too much pressure behind them but I do like them.

I run a H754 on a TJ harvester; about to stuff some decent sweet chestnut through it - will report on performance; some say 4wd heads are good on hardwood; others don't and prefer 2wd heads on hardwood. :confused1: Tis a waratah aye.

Stroke heads - slow; do they pay?

Have you seen the price of Logmax heads; :w00t: Good big heads tho.

Keto - superb value for money although never had one (I lie I had a 100 but never fitted it).

AFM - very fast heads indeed.

Not in their dreams at all. Komatsu now sell them but badged as a komatsu head, even though everyone knows they are a logmax. Komatsu had a whole line up of them on their stand at Elmia last year, but I heard today that they havent sold any of the heads in the UK yet.

Not in their dreams at all. Komatsu now sell them but badged as a komatsu head, even though everyone knows they are a logmax. Komatsu had a whole line up of them on their stand at Elmia last year, but I heard today that they havent sold any of the heads in the UK yet.

I made this very enquiry last year when looking for a head (LM 928). Was made very clear that the Komatsu head (which I too thought looked like a rebadged Logmax) was NOT a logmax; that's what Logmax and Phil Cooper told me :confused1: Hmmm. Made me look a twit :laugh1:

BUT, Komatsu have acquired Logmax quote:

Komatsu to acquire Log Max | News

So I'm out of date sorry :blushing: You can see the logmax heads in Komatsus range are the ones with the instantly recognisable clip-on box cover.

Given how hated the Valmet heads were (here atleast) I can see the logic in going for a respected brand buyout.

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

• 4 weeks later...
My choice of heads are:

AFM 45, 50

Foresteri F25RN

Keto 150

Lako 43HD

Logmax 4000, 5000

Waratah HTH250HD, HTH450, HTH460

Ok update, out of those, I'm going to say the Waratah 460 or the Keto.

Had a good chat with Richard Court yesterday whilst he was going through our Timberjack H754 head. However, the best head for your application is none of these but rather a Viking. Forget Kesla - not good heads despite the overall co reputation for other stuff.

Re chestnut, our 754 aka HTH460 is stripping it to hell and will not delimb branches over 2" irrespective of knife pulsing; plenty fast enough on nice stuff though but the stuff I've now finished cutting is very toppy; I would not say the short chassis and 4wd are of any benefit. Saying that I've seen a SP561 and a Keto 150 in hardwood recently and I think the 754/460 is better; the SP is a softwood only head for sure.

I've only watched harvesters work. From my perspective on a very mixed range of thinning and occasional clear fell jobs the Viking head came out on top by a long way. It was able to handle everything that was thrown at it from the usual larch/spruce/wrc/corsican in pulp to saw-log sizes and beech/oak thinnings up to 300mm and some over that size too.

Only two breakages in this time. One pipe (messy) and a metal shroud that I re-welded.

It's simplicity kept it reliable and the build quality was good too.

codlasher

Ok update, out of those, I'm going to say the Waratah 460 or the Keto.

Had a good chat with Richard Court yesterday whilst he was going through our Timberjack H754 head. However, the best head for your application is none of these but rather a Viking. Forget Kesla - not good heads despite the overall co reputation for other stuff.

Re chestnut, our 754 aka HTH460 is stripping it to hell and will not delimb branches over 2" irrespective of knife pulsing; plenty fast enough on nice stuff though but the stuff I've now finished cutting is very toppy; I would not say the short chassis and 4wd are of any benefit. Saying that I've seen a SP561 and a Keto 150 in hardwood recently and I think the 754/460 is better; the SP is a softwood only head for sure.

Hi TCD

The Old Brunette must be working flat out keeping up with the harvester. I've been thinking of a harvester for 1st and 2nd thinnings. Been thinking of something like the harvdig system to keep things as simple as possible. Looked at Tapio stroke heads but could be a bit on the slow side

I've only watched harvesters work. From my perspective on a very mixed range of thinning and occasional clear fell jobs the Viking head came out on top by a long way. It was able to handle everything that was thrown at it from the usual larch/spruce/wrc/corsican in pulp to saw-log sizes and beech/oak thinnings up to 300mm and some over that size too.

Only two breakages in this time. One pipe (messy) and a metal shroud that I re-welded.

It's simplicity kept it reliable and the build quality was good too.

codlasher

+1 for Viking then. RC reckoned if I was to replace my head in future, either keep it original or go with Viking, that's it.

Hi TCD

The Old Brunette must be working flat out keeping up with the harvester. I've been thinking of a harvester for 1st and 2nd thinnings. Been thinking of something like the harvdig system to keep things as simple as possible. Looked at Tapio stroke heads but could be a bit on the slow side

Flat out is putting it mildly and still not keeping up with the harvester; long steep extraction = 1x7m3 load every hour vs 20m3/hour being cut :lol:

Update to my original post.

After lots of discussion with neuson used machines that were of the age I wanted with lowish hours are non existent and new was not an option at this stage so had to think again.

Got a tip about this harvester at a bargain price less than 10k hours and a good solid base machine not the head I would of gone for but I know it's does hard woods well.

IMAG0028.jpg.905b39943ef2aee9339ae0dacf11d566.jpg

Update to my original post.

After lots of discussion with neuson used machines that were of the age I wanted with lowish hours are non existent and new was not an option at this stage so had to think again.

Got a tip about this harvester at a bargain price less than 10k hours and a good solid base machine not the head I would of gone for but I know it's does hard woods well.

Nice. Can't see the head model # in the pic? 901.2/3 base unit? Only warning - maxi computer. Now if you re-head that, you will deffo want a viking... I asked what my 2005 754 head would be worth - £6k ish vs £60k for a new one :lol: bare metal rebuild rather when the time comes...

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor