Mobile phone on a contract

Flippin heck i wish i was 45 years younger then i could understand these mobile contract things.

So with GiffGaff i have to get a pay as you go card and top up at petrol stations etc as usual,put £20 on it each month and get those good mins and txts,but how can thay be topped up automatically Doobin? And how can it use your minutes if you've none left on your top up card?

Also if i do change to GiffGaff from my voda pay as go,can i keep my phone and my phone number,or will they send me a new simcard for it,or may have to buy 1 of their phones?

Thankyou for your post,Tim.

Best to do it online. On the GiffGaff site, set your goodybag to recur every month using your debit card.

Ask Vodafone for a PAC code, and enter this at the GiffGaff site. It will then transfer to your GiffGaff sim within a day or so.

When you phone Vodafone, don't even let them begin trying to sell you something, or offer you a special deal to stay with them. However good it sounds it won't be anything like as good as GiffGaff. But they will try, so be warned.

GiffGaff sims work in any phone, so long as the phone is unlocked. Sometimes they work on phones locked to O2 but not always.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also if i do change to GiffGaff from my voda pay as go,can i keep my phone and my phone number,or will they send me a new simcard for it,or may have to buy 1 of their phones?

If the weans just bought you a phone, then it's most likely to be "unlocked", in order words it'll accept any sim card you choose to put in it and work away quite happily with any network.

If you get a phone as part of a pay monthly contract, typically over 2 years minimum, the phone will be "locked" to the network you've done the deal with on the basis that they're subsidising the cost of the phone so don't ever want it to be used with anyone else.

IMO buying a "sim free" phone and then sorting out a separate deal for your service is the sensible way to do things so you're in a pretty good position.

Oh, and as also mentioned you can keep you number and take it with you to whichever network you wish as it's legally YOUR number but be prepared for a bit of hard sell from Vodafone when you ask for the PAC code. Suddenly they'll "really value" your custom! :lol:

I am endeavouring to get to grips with this and will post an update soon. I have meantime got voda down to £30 a month payg unlimited calls and texts and other stuff i dont recollect,which is better than £120,but i havnt finished yet,as ime going down the contract road with one or the other.

Thankyou to all my friends on a/t for your help and advice.

Edited by oldwoodcutter

I am endeavouring to get to grips with this and will post an update soon. I have meantime got voda down to £30 a month payg unlimited calls and texts and other stuff i dont recollect,which is better than £120,but i havnt finished yet,as ime going down the contract road with one or the other.

Thankyou to all my friends on a/t for your help and advice.

FFS man, you need to cancel that. If you're paying £30 a month it's a contract. Read the small print. I warned you that they would flat out lie to you about 30-day contracts. Also they will stiff you by adding extra charges for 0800 numbers etc.

GiffGaff is totally pay as you go. You are completely in control.

• 2 weeks later...

As promised,a quick update on this problem. I have now successfully got a contract on direct debit for unlimited calls,texts,and voicemails,with some data as well,for £16 a month,and kept my old number.

Thanks to my knowledgeable friends on arbtalk for all your help and advice,Tim.

As promised,a quick update on this problem. I have now successfully got a contract on direct debit for unlimited calls,texts,and voicemails,with some data as well,for £16 a month,and kept my old number.

Thanks to my knowledgeable friends on arbtalk for all your help and advice,Tim.

Hi OWC that's a good deal who that with then mate did just use your old phone and network thanks Jon

• 1 month later...

My contract is up, currently I'm paying £45 plus vat a month, I never call folk, it's email and text, usually on Wi fi in the house or cafe.

It's too easy just to leave the way it is incase it goes wrong, the last time I changed suppliers it was epic, it took me about a week and then had no phone for 2 days on the ch age over.

Will my phone be locked? How do I find this out? Can I get it unlocked and how?

I'm with EE and coverage is good where I go.

Thanks