Help

jase8519

I have a stihl chainsaw that I just cant get the clutch off. Yes I am turning it clock wise and I have jammed the piston with rope I also have no skin left on the knuckles of my right hand!!! Can any one give me any tips please.

I use a rubber hammer and a heavy duty (19mm is it?) socket. Not a hard but a distinct knock, which will release the clutch. Take your time to clean all interiors, including the worm gear for the oil pump.

I hate the inboard cluch design of the Stihl chainsaws, as with our MS 362, which collects substantial dirt over time in it's big internal cavity. It affects the oil pump as well, but mainly the functionality of the Quick-Stop brake.

The needle bearing on our MS362 still is OK, so are the gaskets/sealings to the engine. But I've seen a pair of the troubled MS261, which performed terribly, due to this inboard clutch design. Woobly performance and possibly air leaks due to the ill performing engine. Runs well, when new, but put into hard work over the years, it will show it's ugly head.

TBH, the 026 is pretty easy - clockwise off, decent socked and bar wrench, use rope or the stihl stop, place it on the ground, hold the rear handle with your foot, front handle with your left hand and lift the wrench with your right - you can get A LOT of force this way and it will shift:thumbup:

• 5 months later...