Tools- T25 extra long bit for 1/4 impact driver

mikerecike

enrib,

Sommat kinda disnay add up, in respect of your claims re tool life.

All employees in that Garret fixing section must have been built like Popeye, and working 24/7 forby.

Anyway such misuse and abuse of tools simply tells me that someone (incl perhaps the Snap-on rep, were failing to identify the correct methodology for removing these seized bolts.

There are means other than a simple spanner, incl simply welding a square or hex section of bar to the bolt head, the intense localized welding heat also being perfect to assist breaking the bond.

etc etc.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting!

Folk who use tools daily now which is best simply because they have more experience..

Like most jobs.. If someone has been doing the same job for the last 20-30 years then there's going to be a good chance they have worked out the best way and the best tool for doing the job!

So why is it that so many who haven't seem to think they know best!

If folk think mechanics are so dumb they pay over the price for tools because of marketing then why do so many put there life in there hands having there cars, truck, chipper, stump grinders, bikes in fact any mechanical machine fixed by a dumb ass could put your life at risk!!

There's a correct tool for every job and with good judgment and skill the correct quality of tool is bought to preform that job

Snap-On tools are made from virgin tool steel which gives them the better quality and strength

As for buying out the competition

Facom, Britool, Stanley, Black & Decker oooo all one company who are now in buy out talks with Dewalt!

Someone who disputes quality hasn't had a good opportunity to experience using it so therefore not suitably experienced to make such a judgment

Is it a chipper, is it a mower or another broken stump grinder who cares we'll fix it!

Interesting!

Folk who use tools daily now which is best simply because they have more experience..

Like most jobs.. If someone has been doing the same job for the last 20-30 years then there's going to be a good chance they have worked out the best way and the best tool for doing the job!

So why is it that so many who haven't seem to think they know best!

If folk think mechanics are so dumb they pay over the price for tools because of marketing then why do so many put there life in there hands having there cars, truck, chipper, stump grinders, bikes in fact any mechanical machine fixed by a dumb ass could put your life at risk!!

There's a correct tool for every job and with good judgment and skill the correct quality of tool is bought to preform that job

Snap-On tools are made from virgin tool steel which gives them the better quality and strength

As for buying out the competition

Facom, Britool, Stanley, Black & Decker oooo all one company who are now in buy out talks with Dewalt!

Someone who disputes quality hasn't had a good opportunity to experience using it so therefore not suitably experienced to make such a judgment

Is it a chipper, is it a mower or another broken stump grinder who cares we'll fix it!

Plenty of us use tools daily, you're not some special little snowflake.

How would "virgin" tool steel differ from any other tool steel.

As far as I am aware scrap steel is a vital part of the blend for any steel production.

And

cough cough

I know tradespersons in different trades, who make a good living, doing things a certain way.

Simply because that was the way they were always done.

And they know no other/choose to learn no other.

Irrespective of the changes in technology and materials affording a "better" way.

Seriously.

PS

Wanna drill a hole in high carbon tool steel.

First stick an old dull drill bit, or length of re-bar or round section steel in the drill.

"Bore" until the tool steel is red hot.

Smother the area in builders lime and walk away.

Return after the component has cooled.

And bore a hole in the now annealed steel.

Or for the brickkies, try the "Donegal" bond. (Prob from a hungry Donegal farmer being thrifty)

One can "look it up"

Saves wastage and more importantly TIME.

Looks ugly, but hey iffen it is plastered after, no odds.

regards,

Marcus

Edited by difflock

enrib,

Sommat kinda disnay add up, in respect of your claims re tool life.

All employees in that Garret fixing section must have been built like Popeye, and working 24/7 forby.

Anyway such misuse and abuse of tools simply tells me that someone (incl perhaps the Snap-on rep, were failing to identify the correct methodology for removing these seized bolts.

There are means other than a simple spanner, incl simply welding a square or hex section of bar to the bolt head, the intense localized welding heat also being perfect to assist breaking the bond.

etc etc.

I respect your right to have your own opinion based on your own experiences. But, I can't respect any opinions you seem to have on other people experiences, we can just decent the whole discussion in to calling one an other idiots or liars.

Yes, there are more effective ways of removing bolts that are stuck fast, we could and would shock bolts with a lump hammer and chisel, we could also heat the bolts and rapidly cool them, but all this took a lot more time than simply using a strong tool that worked. And given it was a high turnover production environment, time costs money. Yes we did have arms like popeye and often we would shear the bolt of with hammer and chisel, the great thing about the snapon spanner was that the bolt would break before the spanner.

If you want to use low cost tools for occasional jobs where you have the time to work at a pace dictated by the weakness of tool, by all means use them, have fun. But don't try talking down to others by dismissing their experiences, if you regard people who use snap on tools as foolish people who buy in to some marketing hype, then great you entitled to have you opinion, but equally people don't have to respect your opinion.

Edit( if your point was that people who insist on having 'every single tool' as a snap on, regardless of whether they need a higher quality tool or not for jobs that don't demand it, just for the sake of having the best quality tool, then I would agree with you, that they are buying tools based on brand on not their own work demands)

Edited by enrieb

Even a £2.50 13mm spanner is strong enough to shear an M8 stud if you use a length of pipe for leverage. 2 hours? Someone's exaggerating.

What were you using a spanner for anyway? A 13mm impact socket on a 1/2" impact wrench puts down far more torque than a spanner and length of pipe will.

The Snap-On warranty is fine, but not enough reason to justify the price. All half decent tool manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty. So for less than a third of the price of a Snap-On ratchet, my Halfords Professional ratchet has had the guts replaced for free twice.

The turbine housing could only be accessed by a spanner on, half the types of turbine. The ones where we could remove the compressor housing could be removed with a impact wrench, but again we found that the snap on impact socket lasted a hell of a lot longer than a cheap one. On most of the other sizes of bolts it was fine to use a cheap socket of spanner.

I respect your right to have your own opinion based on your own experiences. But, I can't respect any opinions you seem to have on other people experiences, we can just decent the whole discussion in to calling one an other idiots or liars.

Yes, there are more effective ways of removing bolts that are stuck fast, we could and would shock bolts with a lump hammer and chisel, we could also heat the bolts and rapidly cool them, but all this took a lot more time than simply using a strong tool that worked. And given it was a high turnover production environment, time costs money. Yes we did have arms like popeye and often we would shear the bolt of with hammer and chisel, the great thing about the snapon spanner was that the bolt would break before the spanner.

If you want to use low cost tools for occasional jobs where you have the time to work at a pace dictated by the weakness of tool, by all means use them, have fun. But don't try talking down to others by dismissing their experiences, if you regard people who use snap on tools as foolish people who buy in to some marketing hype, then great you entitled to have you opinion, but equally people don't have to respect your opinion.

Edit( if your point was that people who insist on having 'every single tool' as a snap on, regardless of whether they need a higher quality tool or not for jobs that don't demand it, just for the sake of having the best quality tool, then I would agree with you, that they are buying tools based on brand on not their own work demands)

Enrib,

not intending to offend.

But

(i) Not all statements by all posters on the internet can be taken at face value:001_rolleyes:.

(ii) Genuinely puzzled that there was not a better = purpose designed bit of kit for this very particiular and often repeated operation.

(iii) I fondle my big 15"/18" Bacho adjustable spanners, ditto the Record 24" (or is it 30") Stilson, quite regularly, and despair seeing "professional" fitters using utter dung of adjustable spanners.

Regards,

Marcus

mechanics can only afford snap-on tools because they charge a shed load money to repair your motors

haha

Yes I have snap on tools and I charge shed loads. My favorite makes snap on, Bahco, knipex, vice grip you can keep the rest.