Making a Prussik Loop

DanClimbsTrees

Again surely a double fishermans is part of cs38 or unit 1 (correct me)

A few ££ bit of 11mm rope will get you sorted.

Tbh if I couldn't tie a double fishermans I really wouldn't want to climb a tree with one pre tied as I wouldn't know what's right or wrong with the knot

Not part of the assessment, as for pre tied, look at your kit, check it and trust or bin it:001_smile:

I've never had any problems with Prussik loops, pre tied or self made.

Now VT, that's a different kettle of fish:laugh1:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gordon Bennett, this is a bit of a floaty thread.

After years of experimentation I have fond that 1.6m of 'wasp' is the optimum length. Tie a double fishermans with 2 inch tails when hand tight then tighten it with all the strenght and weight in your body. I put mine over the washing pole, put a brick at the bottom of the pole, put a spade in the loop and its end against the brick and pull like hell. It will be so pre-tightened that NO-ONE will ever get it undone. Then tape down the ends to stop them catching on things or use shrink wrap (put it on the loop before tying the knot!).

It works at 1.6m with a 3 wrap prussik or Schwabian or Blake's. If you use a 2 wrap, you'll need a shorter loop and so a shorter length of rope.

I buy 10 metres at a time, gets me 6 loops and an offcut. Works out at about £2 a loop. Disposable!

I would strongly recommend experimenting with other hitches after you get comfortable with a Prussik Hitch. It's a no-brainer knot but really irritating in practice after a while.

Not part of the assessment, as for pre tied, look at your kit, check it and trust or bin it:001_smile:

First and only time I tried VT I decked it in slow motion from about 5 metres up. Never going to use it again!

VT is temperamental alright, but there are many other good hitches out there.

I think every climber should know how to use a Prussik, and how to tie double fishermens, but using one after you are a beginner doesn't make sense.

Tommy B's comment was tongue-in-cheek, but also very true.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

If you'd twatted your elbows using a Prussik for years you may think differently.

Also, look at all the top guys out there, are they still on Prussiks?

That should tell you something.

It's akin to taking a bowsaw up with you instead of a 200.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

But if you don't know how to tie one how do you your prussik is loop is safe to climb on pre tied or not