eco log pile

Stephen Blair

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am making a logpile for my old primary school, in my head its a pile of logs left to rot. does anyone know any different. any advice and help would be appreciated. thanks:001_smile:

Quite good, but just remember Kids like to climb on logs. Make sure the pile is safe and wont disturb easily. Make sure it cant roll away with just a kick. Think about type of timber used.

keep the pile structure random, avoid laying logs one on top of another, basically you want to try and keep it free from draughts so a random structure is good, if air can pass straight through it will dry out internally and this is no good for most inverts and amphibians, if its close to a stream or river had you considered doing a log pile otter holt, which is good fun if you want to get the kids involved as they can help do it (as long as you saw the logs to size first)

reguarding the invert pile, its probably worth digging it about 6inchs into the soil to help keep moisture lower down

Charlie

well made an echo log pile today, dont know the exact science of it, but gave it a bash anyway, it looks like one big pile, but it is actually made up of different stuff under neath, some bits just rotten wood, other bits with old grass and cony, some branches, some parts only soil, holes and wee paths inside for the prickly pigs. hopefully the bugs will like it. and i couldnt resist thinning out the wee alder and willow plantation to the rear while i was there. the kids all came out and mucked in and asked loads of questions to Mr Blair:sneaky2:. but were more interested in the quad:001_smile:

DSC00166.jpg.50bc13c8bfa882ac5e355c3c2b42a98f.jpg

DSC00165.jpg.4037957fd8e5ccec5fa208bb0c95844a.jpg

DSC00162.jpg.624e9a05a827f5ac9a70f56e34863193.jpg

DSC00164.jpg.d03860c20eb12a35f6c1e7e5ac121f60.jpg

DSC00157.jpg.bb73d2b4fd77bf7aae275dcaa38d0167.jpg

the place is really wet, i am going to have to make an access path with woodchip and a big chipped are around it so the kids dont get filthy. then i will drop off some big stems for seats, the area where i thinned out the trees will be kept with long grass, before it was a haven for litter, the janitor wouldnt go in to get it because it was so dense. no excuses now. i am waiting to hear back from the council to see if we are aloud to continue(red tape bs)if you ask me.