Saw modifications

thetoolnut

The advantages of porting are increased cut speed and faster pickup .....plus the saw can be a joy to use and do the same work of a larger saw so less body fatigue.

On the down side, you have the noise, petrol consumption and possible deterioation of saws life but not seen this to date!

On the H&S side, I port saws for owner operators and would not expect any of the saws I have modded to be handed to paid employees for their use to do their job - that wouldn't be sensible!

I agree, the whole point of a ported saw is it has more power, either for pulling a bigger bar (like 16" on a 200t) or more power in the cut so you can lean harder on a saw or have it hold a higher rpm, they also sound better, and if you're worried about the extra noise, wear bigger earmuffs!

Fuel consumption isn't increased that much IMO, but what we do in the uk is what the Americans call a wood port, and a very basic one at that, so it minimises additional stress on the saw and fuel consumption isn't increased much either, the work would maybe shorten the life of the saw by a few hours run time, but not enough to notice.

The race porting on the other hand, shortens the life considerably, but the saws run for a few seconds then they're left to cool, and rebuilt after.

The PUWER conformity means it meets emission regulations, after all, the safety features still work fine after the saw is ported.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not poring hot water on this at all only playing devils advocate iv just spoken to a friend HSE officer. He has mentioned legality of liability and so on regarding modified saws if you have ever had an investigation after an accident you will know that the HSE will go threw everything with a fine tooth Combe and you may find your liability cover is invalid ???

I'm not poring hot water on this at all only playing devils advocate iv just spoken to a friend HSE officer. He has mentioned legality of liability and so on regarding modified saws if you have ever had an investigation after an accident you will know that the HSE will go threw everything with a fine tooth Combe and you may find your liability cover is invalid ???

Like I said, I remind owners of their H&S liabillity toward employees when people ask to have their saws modded. It isn't a cop out but more a reminder that if they employ people and supply their saws, then handing them a non standard saw isn't the smartest thing to do.

I could argue that I have seen soooo many MS200Ts without chain catchers and other saws with bust brake handles and throttle locks that H&S would also have a dim view of but anyone considering having their saw modified should take an overview of who will be using the saw and their intended use for the saw!

I don't believe HSE would strip a saw down and if they did how would they know it the ports were 1/4" oversize or the wrong shape ? If the brake works and the chain catcher is on there it's all good.

They might notice a big twin port muffler ......

I would argue a ported chainsaw is safer, assuming all the safety mechanism on the saw are operable and the staff is trained. In a 372 ported, you now have the power of a 390xp, but without the weight. The operator now can do the same, or similar work without becoming fatigued as quickly, and with the ability to better manipulate a tool that is now several pounds lighter than the aforementioned 390xp. If the saw is incapable of overcoming the chain brake, it is as safe as any saw with more power that weighs more. Now, if the HSE and the guilds decided to require permits to operate a chainsaw based upon it's displacement and weight, then I can see a legal basis for this discussion. The only legal basis I can see is a chainsaw that is louder may require more hearing protection. I somehow doubt operators will start increasing their lawsuits based upon hearing loss if ported or muffler modded chainsaws were introduced. The chain speed is another consideration from an HSE standpoint. But then again, the chain speed on a stock 346xp is far more than on even a ported 390xp. A standard 880 has far more torque than a ported 390, yet there are no higher requirements for both skill set or safety gear for using such machinery. So, there is no basis in increased power being more of a litigation hazard.

Having said this, I would think handing any tool that is beyond the skill set of your operators is not a terribly wise decision. Choose wisely.

They might notice a big twin port muffler ......

But stihl sell dual ported mufflers, which have to be tested safety-wise and as it is a possible option a user may fit, so the conformity cert would have been tested with it fitted

I don't believe HSE would strip a saw down and if they did how would they know it the ports were 1/4" oversize or the wrong shape ? If the brake works and the chain catcher is on there it's all good.

Well let me say that the Hse wil use indestry experts to examine any equipment that may be at falt and as mentioned a muff mod will be a dead give away they have long been looking at decreasing chain speed on saws .? I'd be very twichey regarding modded saws they are built to Meet CE standards with documented dater and you will find that your liability cover will not be valid

All the arguments regarding les weight more power and so on are all well and good but it's a very grey area

It's not my place to judge anyone using ported saws

But as iv stated 35 years commercial cutting around the world and iv never found any real advantage o and the manufacturer will not stand by any modded saw

:001_tt2:

But stihl sell dual ported mufflers, which have to be tested safety-wise and as it is a possible option a user may fit, so the conformity cert would have been tested with it fitted

Thats ok then . Mine however aren't a factory option .

DSCF0055.jpg.458b2e2a2d73786aa8f185ec6f2abf06.jpg