Saw modifications

thetoolnut

I was just wondering about porting and modding saws it seems to be all the rage ? But I have to ask the question regarding noise increase and meeting puwer regs ? the saws are made to meet noise and emission regs and the manufactures spend thousands developing saws to meet these regs! we mess about with them trying to squeeze more power and so on ? iv ported saws myself and yes there is a difference but sometimes it is like the placebo effect ? from a contractors point of view is it good practice ? Iv been working in the game for 35 years as a cutter in the uk and over the pond and even in Weston Aus and I can honestly say iv never found any advantage to porting saws for commercial work Only possibly for a bit off fun I'm shore others will disagree but it's a good subject to debate

I agree with you mate.

Other than pulling and keeping at close hand my saws spark arrestors?

I leave em alone and they perform good enough for me, provided of course you're runnin 100 octane racin fuel and Stihl's silver bottled synthetic!

Seriously, I've been on state forestry contracts after fires and beetle outbreaks, and the white van with dark tinted windows stops on the jobsite, and out pops a state compliance officer demanding to see each saw you're usin on that site's spark arrestor. Those without had to get their saws off the job site or have them confiscated along with a hefty fine.

And yes, hot mufflers start fires easily when the muffler makes contact with the bark of some dead tree species, like melaleuca, and boxwoods like leptospurman.

All my saws are stock minus the arrestors, and lasted over ten plus years excluding the ms200T's, which were brutalized into early deaths without exception, all four of em!

In truth the scariest saw in my mind's the Stihl 44magnum. I've known too many guys who've cut themselves in the legs badly by letting that kinda power get away from them while cutting the straps on a rolled over log usin the top of the bar. Push back, into their legs, very nasty.

I'm a little guy who uses the smallest saw I can get away wit, up to bout 28 inches!

Which is why my 14 inch 200's all die premature deaths! Not top end or low end failures mind you. It's the bloody mufflers rattlin off so many times the threads in the pot let go. Or maybe I'm crazy cuz no one else but me whines about it happenin to them too!

[ame]

[/ame]

Not familiar with the newfangled computer controlled saws, so they may well need help.

Jomoco

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very good point about the sparks I remember felling big gums in the bush down under arresters ha to be on and again no mods never bothered me I spent my hard earned cash on VB (beer) Sheila's and surfing not fanning around with me tools LOL

Fortunately for us over here, the lack of a spark arrestor's not likely to cause any problems.

I had my 372 ported and find it much nicer to use. Is it any less safe - I don't think so. At the end of the day it's a petrol engine with a sharp spinning bit on one end - it wasn't exactly safe to start with......