Beech Cambium Damage at Base

hesslemount

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1400100422.524641.jpg.6a62b6831dce2e01c9292b385ed95a65.jpg

Hi All. This is a 70-cm DBH Copper Beech with cambium damage on one side near base and roots. No recent excavation or mechanical damage. Wood lice present. Damage shown has been compartmentalised. Tree very close to property with no real lean (well balanced). Take down, prune or leave? Customer is erring on take down. ImageUploadedByArbtalk1400100771.687044.jpg.2ec8fb91a0da0c8d20e26d32cd12a852.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

:confused1:could that be fire damage caused by burning leaves at base of tree?:laugh

Looks like fire damage to me.

If the customer wants it down then why argue? They are obviously worried, and you aren't convinced enough to talk them out of it so get the big saw out!

In reality, the base of the tree is partially compromised and there is a house within falling distance. You could recommend further in-depth investigation, more than likely followed by a reduction and future monitoring/work, which would be sensible if the customer was keen on retention and was willing to invest in the tree's future. If they are already set on removal then I wouldn't lose any sleep felling it personally (if all relevant permissions are in place etc).

Where and how well is this damage compartmentalised?

You can find out by moving those ferns off the stem and looking. This would guide pruning specs.

By the looks of the crown, eminently reduceable. Investing in removal would be a waste of financial and arboreal assets.

What side of the tree is the damage, is it south towards the sun? Looks like it's been lifted heavily and possibly had shading removed so potentially sun scorch. I would not go with fire damage on that one.

I would not say that the tree is compromised although the potential for colonisation has now increased I would not say it needs felling on safety grounds yet, easy for me to say from the comfort of my sofa.

What side of the tree is the damage, is it south towards the sun? Looks like it's been lifted heavily and possibly had shading removed so potentially sun scorch. I would not go with fire damage on that one.

I would not say that the tree is compromised although the potential for colonisation has now increased I would not say it needs felling on safety grounds yet, easy for me to say from the comfort of my sofa.

sunscald theory has merit. The amount of woundwood evident suggests pruning of lower limbs, or loss of adjacent tree, a few years back?

Thanks for your relies guys. Fungal infection was my suspicion and I felled her. I'll post photos of the stump which was radially segmented into three splits. Quite scary on close inspection but only apparent 2 M from base and to ground level. Definite case for take down.

Thanks for your relies guys. Fungal infection was my suspicion and I felled her. I'll post photos of the stump which was radially segmented into three splits. Quite scary on close inspection but only apparent 2 M from base and to ground level. Definite case for take down.

Pics would be good. I look forward to seeing them :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Arbtalk mobile app