Amount of Dead Ash

Gardenmac

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

These trees aren't dead they are just resting!

I can assure you these trees are not resting they are deceased, dead, they are no more.

Or as Monty Python would have it

Mr. Praline: 'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This tree is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-Ash tree

They haven't woken up, the wilted leaves are not the hanging keys,these trees are in trouble and they leave a big hole in the wider landscape

My thoughts too, hardly any Ash out in leaf around my areas of Kent, none of the ones I have looked at in detail show exterior signs of Chalara.

Down this end of Kent (Canterbury), lots of Ash trees are showing external signs of Chalara. It's very depressing. So many beautiful trees being slowly killed off.

The heart breaking one was finding an infected tree on the bank of a river, knowing at that point that it's going to take out every ash tree down river.

I've stopped reporting infected trees to the forestry commission as they just replied with an email along the lines of "yeah, we know kent has it, nothing we can do there, sorry".

Julia

This is the second morning running with a similar thread. They're often late, but this is really getting on. The amount of people saying about them with dead leaves on, at this time of year, is pretty certainly the keys (last years seed pods), but the notable thing I'm picking up on is that it's the big mature trees that seem to be late/struggling, while the smaller saplings through natural regeneration are looking fine up here (we don't have it here yet). I think I'm going to put the big lense on the camera and take some crown shots to get a close up view of these late starters.

Let's hope we're just in for a Splash!

ps, the below link is useful:

Chalara symptoms photoguide.pdf

I think the late flushing of the mature (females) trees is due to last years heavy mast using up a lot of their energy reserves. Also due to the mild winter/spring I think many other species had an early bud burst and even fruit forming stage! Which amplifies the late Ash, at least that's the way up North (currently Chalara free).

I'm amazed at all the chalara "experts" who are suddenly popping up.

Just because they are late/ have some leaf die-back/ look a bit sick, doesn't mean its chalara.

Yes we will lose most of our Ash trees, yes it's tragic, but to be honest I would be very surprised if most of the country has mature Ash trees displaying diagnostic signs of it yet.

I live in Norfolk and outside of coppiced and sapling trees, it's very hard to spot signs of it yet. some trees, but not most.

This is all getting a bit like the Salem Witch hunt.

Just take a deep breath and calm down