UK Arb Industry

MOG

No offense taken bro!!! I think the difference here is that it's seen as a big social thing that enables all the climbers to catch up and hang out. It's also very well supported by company owners and they actively encourage there employees to attend.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we can safely say the comps are not for everyone

They are good fun when done in smaller communities like NZ

Over here the numbers are too high and the majority have better things to do

How could you up the anti, I don't know maybe primal scream headling the first night followed by kasabian after the presentation

Let's face it if you enjoy competion climbing go along and have the crack, if not no worries

PS big congrats to Mr G

It's been a long time coming

Enjoy the worlds

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

If there was an event accommodating mediocre climbers with appalling throw line skills I'd be all over it like a rash.

Honestly, it sounds intimidating to get into, and the bigger boys might be mean to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

If there was an event accommodating mediocre climbers with appalling throw line skills I'd be all over it like a rash.

Honestly, it sounds intimidating to get into, and the bigger boys might be mean to me!

Just have a go, I thought exactly the same but I entered and it was awesome everyone was very helpful when I didn't have a clue what to do

if your happy in your box, then there's no need to go to comps. :001_tt2:

there's a lot of difference in the 'entertainment' value to the spectators when there's 30 + climbers

the comps are run solely by volunteers as is the ISA, so if you'd like a better event get involved:thumbup1:

A lot of the top ISA comp climbers are high production contract climbers who pick up most of their new climbing tips and tricks on the comp circuit/network.

don't think I have been to a comp and not learnt something new/different, which in this game is how you stay in front.

I don't want to sound the same, but iv always wanted to go to a comp and watch or compete and I just never ever know when they are on don't even know when all the shoes are on eather, I do think a arb calendar on this site would be a beneficial addition

Yes an Arb calendar ... Events, seminars, workshops, competitions and shows.

Great idea James

i had a great time at the UK and I comp it was mint comp. but man what a shameful show out. there was only 17 people in the Comp and not enough supporters either. really shame its going this way. Arbcamp was nothing, nothing happen. the venue was amazing, the trees where awesome but where were the people? i understand the comps are not for everyone, but these comps do help push new gear, new ideas, training, keeping in touch, contact, drinking, camping, goodtimes, etc etc.

this is also one of our few ways of promoting arboriculture and the professionalism required to undertake the job to the wider public. makes me pretty worried in the way it is going in the UK, i think it is real ashame.

i would love some other thoughts on this topic?

Did you-yourself do anything here promote the competition ? Did you start a thread somewhere ? If not then you cant really complain about having no support after the event. You guys dont really help yourselves. I agree with the others who suggested that you have the perfect platform here on Arbtalk to promote the event....which Im guessing has way more members than the ISA UK....not to mention a whole lot more traffic on the site each day. But you choose not to. Why ?

I dont know you from adam, but if you asked me to come and support or your competition, I would, no probs. Im sure a lot of others on AT would too. Did you or anyone else get any photos from the day ? Video? How did it feel to win ? Congratulations by the way. You're on the inside, where's most here are not and dont really get the appeal. Its hard to relate if you dont open up and sell it.

Edited by Paul Barton