Apprentice troubles

Andymacp

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sadly my apprentice (different industry) left a few weeks back. Nothing we did, or could have done - he always wanted to join the Navy but they turned him down on eyesight grounds, but suddenly decided to make him an offer which he understandably took.

There are several factors which are important I think, most of which have been covered by Andy, Amy and Felixthelogchopper - mutual respect probably being the key one (I have seen a lot of engineering doctorate students whose first aim is to leave their placement, rather than get a job there at the end, on account of the treatment they have received, then talking to the employer they make negative comments about the commitment of the student).

One additional point though - this is a stage where people are finding out what they want to do with their lives. Some have a burning desire to do something, only to try it and find they don't like it. Others drift into something and find it is really for them and stay forever. Then there are the ones who really don't have a clue and were never going to get there anyway. It is very hard to pick the winners out early. One thing we have done is to talk to the local colleges early (about this time of year) and allow people to apply - then down-select the ones who are promising for interview and offer a small number a week's work experience, following which they can decide if it is for them. This has helped weed out a few who really weren't up to it or interested enough, and a couple who thought it was what they wanted and found it wasn't.

Alec

I didnt know a thing about trees until 4 years ago, A tree fell on the land and I wanted to cut it into firewood. Myu uncle gave me his 1970s Partner and It was like a duck to water. I learn something new every day and am happy at the work. I will progress. Ive not always seen eye to eye with some people on here but Ive learned so much.

I've been struggling to find any trainee/apprentice climber positions even after offering to work for free etc.

I live in Mid Wales and have been looking for nearly a year for any kind of experience with a professional arborist. After contacting various tree surgeons in my area and having no luck I saved up and bought my own climbing equipment and have been climbing any trees I can find mostly on a relatives farmland using basic DRT with prusik accompanied by endless hours learning knots and different techniques in the hope that soon I'll be able to put myself through my tickets and eventually become a tree surgeon.

I'm 28 so I can appreciate that I'm maybe a little too old to be an apprentice but I desperately want to be a tree surgeon so I can't believe that some people have the opportunity and let it go.

I currently work in grounds maintenance at the moment saving for my tickets :) any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've been struggling to find any trainee/apprentice climber positions even after offering to work for free etc.

I live in Mid Wales and have been looking for nearly a year for any kind of experience with a professional arborist. After contacting various tree surgeons in my area and having no luck I saved up and bought my own climbing equipment and have been climbing any trees I can find mostly on a relatives farmland using basic DRT with prusik accompanied by endless hours learning knots and different techniques in the hope that soon I'll be able to put myself through my tickets and eventually become a tree surgeon.

I'm 28 so I can appreciate that I'm maybe a little too old to be an apprentice but I desperately want to be a tree surgeon so I can't believe that some people have the opportunity and let it go.

I currently work in grounds maintenance at the moment saving for my tickets :) any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Fair play for learning the basics of climbing, do you do much with chainsaws?

Thought I might stick my nose and put my 2 cents in. As a former apprentice (in the motor trade) I was mega grateful for the job, getting paid was just a bonus, I really didn't care what the money was as long as I could pay my rent and eat I was just happy too do the job! Regardless I didn't like it much just wanted a trade, I got qualified and left the trade but am still grateful for the opportunity in the first place! I find now that I started up on my own and have 2 apprentices one in horticulture side one in arb I find that they seem too think that they deserve the world straight away.... They want too be climbing and doing all the fun stuff, and moan that they drag brash. It's not forever just while they learn the ropes I'm happy too let them have a climb when we have a shorter day or use a saw etc. I'm not going too go into a massive moan off about it, just no patience these days.

Also djvicke I was in the same position as you (about 2 years ago) I'm roughly your age 27 and was in grounds maintenance. Never really enjoyed it and loved arb, so I saved up done my tickets, bought all the ropes and went out on my own... Just keep saving and have that goal in mind! You will get there believe me

Fair play for learning the basics of climbing, do you do much with chainsaws?

Thanks, I just know I'm getting older and couldn't find any tree work so thought I'd do what I can to get a start. I've done a lot of chainsaw work on the ground but mostly agricultural felling small trees, cutting some storm damage/felled trees etc but I don't want to take a chainsaw in the tree unless there's a professional nearby.