My first strimmer / brush cutter

clv101

For that budget go for an echo or a Honda. You won't get a stihl for that money. I use a Honda and echo regularly and like them both. The Honda 4 stroke engines are very efficient, easy to start and quiet.

for that money get the Honda 435 will do everthing you want it to do aand more. i use mine every day in summer does not miss a beat. 2 year warrenty.

the bump and go on them are a dodle to feed

the blade works well on big brambles. smaller ones i just use the line.

recomended line is 2.4mm i use oregen starline 3mm and works fine. 4 stroke so no mixing.

the harness is good but i bought a husky pro harness as more comfy.

and just within your budget.

i have the 425 as well but a bit small for what you want to do.

out of your budget but walk behind strimmers do a very good job for doing large areas. have bigger line and munch trough most things. DR is the best one

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 2-mix FS-70 is £70 less than a 4-mix FS90, but the same power.

The FS-70 engine is great, but it's a flexi driveshaft.

I'd be tempted by the Echo TCD posted- £30 more but a solid driveshaft. Quite a bit heavier, but also quite a bit better vibration figures. Throw in a 2-year commercial warranty and that looks very attractive.

OP, where are you located?

Seriously; ignore the Echo weight figures - they are nonsense. I went from a 6 month old Stihl FS85-R to the Echo SRM300 (so higher cc) and the Echo is a lot lighter - it is extremely light in fact. It is soooooo smooooooth too. The Stihl was seriously shakey by comparison too; just rough. I'm not saying this because I'm a fan of Echo; I'm a fan of echo because what I say is true.

To be fair, the Honda isn't a bad machine, and was pleasant enough to use.

I'm not so sure you wouldn't be better off with a second hand professional machine such as an FS460. The full length anti vibe makes such a difference, I wouldn't use a bike handle strimmer without it now. You can get an FS460 for £300 second hand, in fact I have one I would part with for that.

+1 fs460 I got mine 2 years ago and have never looked back it is a beast of a machine starts great runs better and chews through undergrowth like nobody's business, used it with the shredder again yesterday and love it, I now have secured a third job on the same property to clear >1 acre of bramble filled field!

A slightly smaller fs would probably do you, but I love my fs 460 (although I have 2 other machines of different sizes for different jobs!)

I believe the Husky machines do or certainly used to have "cruise control" which meant you could set the revs lower and just plough on, I wish I had it on the stihl but the lack of it doesn't bother me enough to change.

And yes I use my strimmers on a regular basis as that is my business, I do gardening/grasscuting rather than tree work.