Welcome new members

Steve Bullman

Hi All

Im based in mid Lincs and am a one man band forestry contractor (not the the one man band with the cymbals tied to his knees etc!):001_rolleyes: though id probably earn more £££! Most of my work is done on a local estate, thinning,clear fell, tidying windblow whatever really. Have found this a very informative & entertaining site, wish id discovered it sooner!!:001_smile:

have to say this site is pretty good, found it the other day whilst looking for some kit reviews (looking for new helmet and jacket)...

the only other forum site ive ever been on is for when im looking for vw camper bits and bobs and they are abit of a boring affair on the whole, so finding this refreshing!

oh, anyone know where to buy old fashioned canvas tarps? ( 'haps' if youre scottish...)

not sure if i like being called a 'junior member' at this age!!!

Edited by jonathan hall

have to say this site is pretty good, found it the other day whilst looking for some kit reviews (looking for new helmet and jacket)...

the only other forum site ive ever been on is for when im looking for vw camper bits and bobs and they are abit of a boring affair on the whole, so finding this refreshing!

oh, anyone know where to buy old fashioned canvas tarps? ( 'haps' if youre scottish...)

not sure if i like being called a 'junior member' at this age!!!

Hi Jonathan. If you don't like being a junior, best get busy posting :biggrin:

hello,

just started out at 40years old! have CS30/31 working toward funding CS38 and so on, getting work in already which has broadened small business enterprise, took down some Ash today, planted some Yew, conifer work regular and chaotic, Willow, apple...really enjoying meself.

wish i'd taken the career path back at school, love it.

Thanks for taking me on board.

Hi - I joined cuz I (wanted to see the pics, but also) needed to find out about a decent machine that will shred hedge and wriggly shrub prunings

We, that's me and the missus, (steady...) just do garden maintenance now - we have taken down the odd tree that was in the way, but she didn't really like being on the end of the rope pulling in her direction – but otherwise we are professional, have year round contracts etc and folk seem to like the idea - in our type of work – of the 'man and wife' set-up and it does save me a lot of the twaddle. (Just found out the other day she'd won a shot put competition when she worked for customs! - but she's cute, believe me.)

I read on here somewhere of * landscapers damaging roots around the bottom of trees – I wouldn't be surprised, I would expect there to be many more duff landscapers about (second rate work less obvious?) than there are duff tree men – and there's plenty of those – One thing that most saddens me is butchered trees, you don't have to have passed tree surgeon exams to recognise them (especially the Birch) and that's what's so great about the internet and these forums - learning from and helping each other. I've read loads on here and seen some of you blokes' videos – I'm in awe - and there was me thinking you guys ****** ** ****** ******** and hung around in bars :-)

Trees have always been with us and they're part of us - Alex Shigo was a passion of mine and if I had my time over I think I might be working more with trees

hello,

just started out at 40years old! have CS30/31 working toward funding CS38 and so on, getting work in already which has broadened small business enterprise, took down some Ash today, planted some Yew, conifer work regular and chaotic, Willow, apple...really enjoying meself.

wish i'd taken the career path back at school, love it.

Thanks for taking me on board.

Welcome mate. I started this in earnest earlier this year at age 39 and I love it too. :thumbup1:

Hi all. Thought i'd join up for some help and advise when i need it. Which i'm sure i will do, as i'm new to the industry! I've only got my Lantra Maintenance and crosscutting, but i've got an interview with the local college about booking me on my CS30/31 and CS38 :). I've only done three weeks work experience but really enjoyed it, can't wait to get started and evently work in the trees, which looks far more exciting to me as ground work.