Thinking of going employed

David_chainsaw

Yes i have but they want people with a full clean driving licence and michael iv tryed with a job to save up but just does not work theres not saving after iv paid all the bills and because i live in a village its hard to get any where

Sent from my LG-D802 using Arbtalk mobile app

yea its a tough one mate. just keep looking and putting yourself out there and im sure something will come up

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did you get contact with Otley / Easton about the 10 week arb course? Sure i remember you saying your under 24, so it would be free for you.

As others have said or hinted at, DONT get yourself into anymore debt by trying to start up on your own, Im not saying dont try, but no more debt.

Even a cheap van will knock you for 1-1.5K

Getting a license these days? Dunno did mine 10 years ago but id say maybe budget 20-25 lessons MIN @ £22 per hour + test fees etc = £600 min?

Van as a first vehicle? Insurance could be high?

Not trying to put you off but just being able to get to a job you get is going to cost well over 2k and thats without any tools, trailer and odds and sods.

Any local golf courses? Green keeping / grounds maintence would be a good start.

Working for yourself is stressful also, play it safe and work for someone else, clear your debt and start putting some money away for a future battle plan.

And if you haven't done... RING OTLEY!

If you want to do there will be a way ......

Right time of year for gardens......customers may have their own tools,

Make list of priorities ......

1) lawn mower

2) set of garden hand tools

3) driving licence

4) etc

Make your own list and in your own order ......

Then work towards it ......

Never throw an invoice away for anything you buy --- they are the same as money

Good luck

did you get contact with otley / easton about the 10 week arb course? Sure i remember you saying your under 24, so it would be free for you.

As others have said or hinted at, dont get yourself into anymore debt by trying to start up on your own, im not saying dont try, but no more debt.

Even a cheap van will knock you for 1-1.5k

getting a license these days? Dunno did mine 10 years ago but id say maybe budget 20-25 lessons min @ £22 per hour + test fees etc = £600 min?

Not trying to put you off but just being able to get to a job you get is going to cost well over 2k and thats without any tools, trailer and odds and sods.

Any local golf courses? Green keeping / grounds maintence would be a good start.

Working for yourself is stressful also, play it safe and work for someone else, clear your debt and start putting some money away for a future battle plan.

And if you haven't done... Ring otley!

this guys right

do something every day

and do it now

Hi David,

Thought you lived in Swaffham? this is a town with good bus routes. I am not trying to put a downer on you but you keep putting obstacles in your way.

1 | 11 : konectbus

Yes do have buses byt last one out of lynn is 4pm so even a 9to5 job how am i getting home? Im not trying to put obstacles in the way i am trying to get into.The world of trees and person so far whos gave me a chance is stihlben i no i messed up once. But i had my reasons

Did you get contact with Otley / Easton about the 10 week arb course? Sure i remember you saying your under 24, so it would be free for you.

As others have said or hinted at, DONT get yourself into anymore debt by trying to start up on your own, Im not saying dont try, but no more debt.

Even a cheap van will knock you for 1-1.5K

Getting a license these days? Dunno did mine 10 years ago but id say maybe budget 20-25 lessons MIN @ £22 per hour + test fees etc = £600 min?

And if you haven't done... RING OTLEY!

Yes i applied to them but as im 24 i have too pay full fee of 4000

Hi David,

Thought you lived in Swaffham? this is a town with good bus routes. I am not trying to put a downer on you but you keep putting obstacles in your way.

1 | 11 : konectbus

I am also still willing to work unpaid just to keep learning and i enjoy tree and hedge work

David, all you need to be a self employed gardener, hedge cutter or tree surgeon is to be really really brilliantly good at gardening, hedge cutting or tree surgery.

If you are you will be able to do the work better and cheaper than anyone else around you. If not, if your a bit rubbish or just not really very good at these things, or not as good as others in your area then you wont get very far. And if you cant drive you have no chance.

Its quite simple, no amount of driving licenses, advertising, buying tools or hope will actually help. Customers look for someone to do a good job for the right money thats all. Have a look around your area at people doing this kind of work and try and see if there is a need for another person doing it and if you can do it better.

That is what a business plan consists of. A business plan is not " advertise, do work, make lots of money" it doesnt work like that. If there is no market or need in your area for your services (by that I mean the quality of work that you are able to offer) then you wont get any work. You can't create a new market place for yourself by wishful thinking.

While your getting your driving license etc. you can be working on building sites or stacking shelves if you have to but get a full time job until you have everything in place and a market that needs your services. That might be 4-5 years away yet so if you have financial issues now what are they going to be like by then! Get a job ASAP, anything, and then keep looking into your own business, it could well happen one day but its not going to be next week.

Good luck, dont get disheartened but please try and be realistic.

David, all you need to be a self employed gardener, hedge cutter or tree surgeon is to be really really brilliantly good at gardening, hedge cutting or tree surgery.

If you are you will be able to do the work better and cheaper than anyone else around you. If not, if your a bit rubbish or just not really very good at these things, or not as good as others in your area then you wont get very far. And if you cant drive you have no chance.

Its quite simple, no amount of driving licenses, advertising, buying tools or hope will actually help. Customers look for someone to do a good job for the right money thats all. Have a look around your area at people doing this kind of work and try and see if there is a need for another person doing it and if you can do it better.

That is what a business plan consists of. A business plan is not " advertise, do work, make lots of money" it doesnt work like that. If there is no market or need in your area for your services (by that I mean the quality of work that you are able to offer) then you wont get any work. You can't create a new market place for yourself by wishful thinking.

While your getting your driving license etc. you can be working on building sites or stacking shelves if you have to but get a full time job until you have everything in place and a market that needs your services. That might be 4-5 years away yet so if you have financial issues now what are they going to be like by then! Get a job ASAP, anything, and then keep looking into your own business, it could well happen one day but its not going to be next week.

Good luck, dont get disheartened but please try and be realistic.

I totally see where your coming from buddy and i am applying for jobs but im willing to do voul work while im waiting to hear but from them and while looking for work i hate sitting at home doing nothing