Are BT responsible for maintaining their lines to be kept clear?

SteveA

There doesn't seem to much consistency does there?

I have done loads of work for people with dodgy lines that BT have insisted is their responsibility because they own the trees that did the damage.

The last BT engineer I worked on site with said the only exception was squirrel damage....

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Yes, your line and your trees, your responsible, but your trees and someone else's line BT's lookout.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...and even then they quite ofter just drag a new one throught on the old to replace it .

Thats happened to us in work twice over last few years, the engineer said they wouldn't do an work on the trees because it wasn't their responsibilty so would wait till they rubbed through again. Crazy.

Am I not right in thinking that under UK (maybe British(or even just English / Welsh)) law, if a tree is causing a 'nuisance', it is the responsibility of the tree owner?

(PS B.T. or STIHL.......? it's tricky, but I think that B.T. are worst)

after all, at least Stihl are a site sponsor.

That's probably about right Huck.

Plant some Leylands under your neighbours BT line and its not your problem?

They are as insane as Stihl.

What a truly shite company.

You are doing them a favour letting them run someone else's wire over your property, they are doing you a favour running a wire to you, thats the difference as I understand it.

That's probably about right Huck.

Plant some Leylands under your neighbours BT line and its not your problem?

They are as insane as Stihl.

What a truly shite company.

Unfortunately it's not just BT. Most of the major utility companies are the same.

Unless you can get a direct number for the person in charge of the particular area you have a problem in, you are on to a loser. Press one for.....

Am I not right in thinking that under UK (maybe British(or even just English / Welsh)) law, if a tree is causing a 'nuisance', it is the responsibility of the tree owner?

(PS B.T. or STIHL.......? it's tricky, but I think that B.T. are worst)

after all, at least Stihl are a site sponsor.

No, but if someones tree is causing you a "nuisance" you are entitled to adapt the "nuisance", IE overhanging branches from next doors tree can be removed.

Our bt line ran over the top of our burner flue, un surprisingly one night it melted, I fixed it with speaker wire temporarily, when bt finally turned up and repaired it it was F O C, they said they were responsible for the line up until it went into our home, even though it was blatantly our fault

No, but if someones tree is causing you a "nuisance" you are entitled to adapt the "nuisance", IE overhanging branches from next doors tree can be removed.

Exactly. When I read the OP:

BT have three poles running along the edge of our woodland (next to a small road). The supply is only to a neighbours house (we have no connection to the line).

A bunch of our trees have grown their branches into the line and really need cutting back.

Are BT responsible for cutting our trees back or are we expected to do this ourselves? Cheers, Steve

BT don't seem to have a problem - its SteveA that has the problem, therefore its SteveA who should sort out 'their' problem (in the nicest possible way).

Exactly. When I read the OP:

BT don't seem to have a problem - its SteveA that has the problem, therefore its SteveA who should sort out 'their' problem (in the nicest possible way).

SteveA has no problem, its not his line, BT will have a problem when the customer losses their supply.