Needy for info sorry - need advice on 1) skidding and 2) balistic waders?!

Sorry to be leaching for info but I've a job requiring a few bits of kit I need advice on - please help!

First, I have to remove a load of timber growing from the edge of a stream and the only access I can anticipate is via the stream itself thus I think I need chainsaw protective waders - do they exist?

Secondly I have to extract the wood over very rough ground and am planning on dragging it out with my tracked chipper; what should I use to choke the timber and where can I get it?

Many sincere thanks in advance...:001_smile:

I just wear saw trousers under waders i believe sevsafe.co.uk did do a pair though but they were not chest waders???

For skidding i use old lowering rope as i dont have the power of a pto winch but ideally skid choke chains are what you want but i cant imagine them really being needed with what a chipper could pull.

A tracked chipper is a self propelled machine designed only for propelling its self across ground and up steep terrain, in my opinion they are not designed for pulling load other than its self nor do they have a high duty cycle with respect to moving under high load for long periods unlike traced machine designed for pulling/pushing or carrying load.

I would bite the bullet and hire in e.g. a 2.5t mini digger which can also mechanically handle timber, you can carry quite large bits of timber pinched between the grading blade and a grading bucket & or the grading bucket can be used to fix chokers to & can lift the ends of trucks clear of the ground when skidding, you also get to return it after hire without having long-term damage to your chippers track motors/drive system & you have something to have a tidy up after as you go.

I had a site similar and ended up just going in the water as I was - the cold wears off pretty quick and boots and leggings dry out eventually - couldn't stand the thought of waders AND chainsaw kecks.

a little skidding arch would take some of the stress off the back of the chipper and help to keep the ends of the timber off the ground - there's a few companies make them but most are american/canadian and chances of finding one in stock over here are slim - (it'd be around 6-8 weeks if we brought one over) - wouldn't be hard to make one.

I agree with you re the chipper not being for that specific purpose but in this instance and budget, there is no other choice. It won't be pulling much, 100kg max at a time and I have used it this way before, imo very successfully...

What about using a landie John. Pulled loads with mine and if you set up a 2:1 you could pull shed loads. Much faster than a chipper = more profit.

I've seen a nice disco for sale on Arbtalk:001_smile:

Chain is always better for dragging or use old bits of rope. They will be buggered pretty quick though.

Ive got 20m of wire rope you could borrow if u like.

best thing for the waders is to buy some cheap plasticy ones they are normally quite baggy and there is room for chainsaw pants under them

i have worn them like that and they did the job wouldnt say they were the most comfortable thing ive worn but not too bad