Beech co-dominant branches. Compression / stress fractures?

hesslemount

Any advice on the strength of the union particularly on the left branch which has substantial weight leaning towards two houses. I'd appreciate 2 opinions on what would happen if left alone and what to do to reduce potential splitting (cabling, bracing, branch reduction, etc..). ImageUploadedByArbtalk1395777576.561887.jpg.74e8409e43ddfd2d36a9eb3f6e18b79a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1395777542.979774.jpg.97ea79237a545c4a5e91e226e867631b.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1395777507.263538.jpg.d4564ce3c32697613de117c9d320bf68.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would suggest that the answer to your questions are (i) nothing, and (ii) nothing. Beech is immensely strong and readier than most to fuse as this union seems to be doing. The stems look almost perfectly codominant and healthy and not overextended. A review after 5 years might suffice to check that adaptive growth around the compression zone is keeping up with any weakness arising from included bark and any issues arising form compression.

Hard to say as we can't see whole crown; looks like left leader (south?) is sprawling a bit. First option would be to cable with 3/16" EHS (30+ years material life)

That's a pretty cheap supplier you have over the pond, wish I was close enough too get deals like that. Although the materials have a 30 year life span that doesn't mean neglecting them until that time though, surely you would put a bigger cable in before the eye bolts callous over? Other wise there would be the potential of re drilling into the tree.

Jake:thumbup1:

"That's a pretty cheap supplier you have over the pond, wish I was close enough too get deals like that."

Fasteners 2 x $30 = $60, so there's a markup in mtls. :001_rolleyes: I'll bring you some over in May if you like.

"Although the materials have a 30 year life span that doesn't mean neglecting them until that time though"

No more or less than the tree should be neglected if the pruning option is chosen. Trees need followup care no matter what. That 'cabling needs extra inspections' tenet is somewhat mythical.

"surely you would put a bigger cable in before the eye bolts callous over? Other wise there would be the potential of re drilling into the tree."

Surely not! The cable goes into a 1/4" hole drilled through the stem; NO huge hole for through-bolts needed.

Could be that one might be added higher up in ~>10 years, depending on loads etc.

59766897cf1c4_Through-cablingresponsesycamore.jpg.4fc70cee6fc046abfb44932a1958693c.jpg