Stressed out....workload

mad matty

I'm in exactly the same position, booked up till end of May and a lot of customers want it doing it sooner. To be honest, just tell them how it is, there is no point stressing out over it- better to lose out on some work than drive yourself into the ground. I know I'm going to be rushed off my feet for the next 2 month so iv taken this week of to catch up on any paperwork, fix/maintain machinery and generally chill out a bit!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all, I am pretty sure it happens to everyone from time to time!

How do you personally cope with high workloads with no margin for taking longer than it should, the phone doesn't stop ringing, and nearly every job you look at they say yes!

Just feeling the pressure at the moment.

Its good to be busy.....but!

personal ways of coping much appreciated.

Cheers Matty :thumbup1:

Mate we are in exactly the same boat.. 2-3 quotes every evening and doing 3 out of four Saturdays a month for the ones that really can't wait 4-6 weeks as I don't want to loose the work but after 2 months it starts to take its toll so at the moment as my groundy is insured on the van I'm getting another tree surgeon in once a week to go out with him while I spend the day driving round quoting etc (does not work for all quotes as most work) but frees up evenings as for paper work I was emailing most but I just write the quotes out on site while with the customer and only email the ones that need some thought. As for jobs running over as I'm so busy I've put prices up and allowing sufficient time to get jobs done by a sensible time and having earlier finished etc. Taken a while for me to get it right but now it is you really do feel so much better..

Good luck bud :thumbup1:

Start raising your prices - you'll end up earning more by working less.

As a rule of thumb, if more than 75-80% of your quotations are accepted, you are pricing too low.

Others may disagree...

Spot-on!

And I agree with Darrin's suggestion of "giving some jobs away", but only to people you know /trust and maybe one day when they're flat out and you're quiet they'll pass you a job or 2 back. It's worked for me before!

Matty, like anyone else you have to learn to pace yourself and if need be hirer a temp. To handle the paperwork and office affairs for you to give you and the wife a break.

Life is stressful enough. Business, personel life is a constant balance. Finding that balance and maintaing your health and well being is the key.

easy-lift guy

Cheers everyone for your input it really helps, sometimes just cant see the wood for the trees....no pun intended.

been on the phone this morning to some good mates if they are willing maybe to take a couple of jobs on if people cant wait.

some real good advice you sensible people of arbtalk

Cheers Matty:thumbup1:

It's difficult to 'let jobs go'. I've got loads of customers over the years because their previous TS couldn't meet their deadline - and we've been with them since.

I know that if I just decline a customer and they get someone else in who does a half decent job they will use them for ever more (or till they can't respond quick enough).

The problem is, if you really can't fit it in soon enough that's it.

You could offer a discount if they are willing to wait but why lower prices when demand outstrips supply?

I tell such people that as a result of the massive workload generated by the storms any DECENT tree surgeon will be booked up for ages.

I do refer some customers to a friend and he sometimes does the same for me. It's a matter of trust.

Another consideration is VAT. If you operate below the threshold then work your plums off for a few months you may end up having to register, then you become a tax collector and your customers have to pay 20% more.

Be honest with your customers, many will understand and wait. Those who won't will probably use someone else next time you struggle for an 'immediate' booking.

Let's just enjoy the work and not try to do too much. Next customer who calls me can have 23rd June.

Unless you think you are too cheap, don't put your prices up and lose potential customers.

It sounds like you need to:

a) be honest with your customers and give them realistic lead time for booking jobs in

b) be smart with your diary. Book jobs in but build in the odd 'buffer' day to allow for the odd job over-running/maintenance etc

c) hire some more staff and build your business!

Think of it as job security and opportunity for expansion, rather than a long list of jobs to get done.

If paperwork and admin is tying up lots of your time that would be better spent elsewhere, can you streamline things (e.g use some clever IT for quotes and accounting) or even pay someone to help run the office side of things?