Fencing quote

Jimbob87

Figures off top of the head. Not bought any materials for about 7 months. Vat to be added if you charge it as well.

My rough sums are

8 posts @ £4 £16

4 rails @ £2.80 £11.20

net @ £1 p mtr £16 inc overlap

Barb @ £0.20 mtr £ 4.50

Labour £2.70 a mtr

Total £88.20 per unit

You missed out fixings.

Tree guards are a pain you just get started then its time to move on to next one if far a part allow time to travel between like moving kit and materials to the next.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£100 a unit all in (£50-55 for materials). 2 men would do well to be completing a unit an hour with a post knocker by the time you have off loaded what you need and measured up at each location. It's not like doing a 300m straight run.

5 mins per post, 5 mins to put the 4 rails on, 5 mins for the mesh, 5 mins for the wire and 5 mins to get to the next one is your hour.

spot on there mate i reckon:thumbup1:

Did some several years ago, all rails, no netting. Seem to remember them taking a LOT longer than we thought, fine if it's just a throw it together job but to get the spacings, heights and angles right took a while. Remember as its square all the posts have to look right from ALL angles.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

Yes i agree with u on this not as straight forward as you think i would imagine. Its got to be done well its the lords private parkland so needs to look good

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

It gets even harder to make it look right when the grounds not level, if one corner is in a dip then you can end up with one post not very far in the ground, not a bad idea to take some longer posts as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

When I worked for someone we had a guards to put up on a piece of parkland, the any problem was they had to all face the same way. We landed up using a compass set it to north and work of that may be an idea when setting out.

Never thought of that

So Jimbob87 who has seen the job says 3 a day between 2 men and Dig-dug-dan thinks he can do 26 a day by himself. A bit of a difference there. Based on £250 labour a day (Dig-dug-dan can have all of that to himself as he will be working so hard) there is £3750 difference between quotes assuming identical material costs.

I would really hope you can do more than 3 a day especially with a tractor knocker as you have already said the ground will be easy knocking. Unless that is you have not told us there is 3 miles between each tree and the ground is currently 4 foot deep in brambles.

Edited by Kev Stephenson

No trees close together clear parkland. Ok maybe four a day. 2hours each one its difficult to judge till you have done one theres a lot of faffing about with the posts i.e. marking out and getting square and with the net its pulling four short runs all the effort in a net is the tying of and tightening process this will have to be done four times on each section in my opinion its a job that will take longer than you think. Not particularly hard just awkward. Mite have to do one at home to see lol

I have done quite a lot of these, and the best way to get everything square is to make a massive template out of 3x2 baton, leave one side hinged so you can get it on and off a tree and a diagonal across 2 of the corners to make it rigid. Even if you use it to mark the post positions with spray marker.

After a few you will probably throw it away but it helps get your eye in.

Then as mentioned use a compass to get them square to each other.

I would say you were about right on 4 per day.

I may also use 4" rails as they don't snap so quick when the cows lean on them!

Please post some pics when your done!

Good luck