whats the hardest timber we have growing in Britain???

se7enthdevil

Holly is a tuff little bugger too

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

holy tough stuff but it is too soft, only 1100 on the janka hardness scale where as things like holm oak, hornbeam and robinia are around the 1700 mark and eucalyptus is in the 2300 area.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is weird. How on earth can eucy be hard?! It's soft as chit round here.

It goes off like concrete when its seasoned right out . I split some last summer that was taken from a dead standing tree but was full of rain water . As the ram pushed against the log water squirted out . Tried to split a lump today from log store to make some kindling and the axe just bounced off . Hard as a hoers arse !

Officially the hardest European timber is Cornelian Cherry (Cornus mas, which is actually a dogwood, not a cherry), and a small block I have bears that out. Best of luck trying to source it!

I have some good boards of 3" thick Robinia air dried 15 years bur Maidstone to Manchester sound like a problem...

i live in maidenhead not maidstone.

still a fair distance though.

also i think boxwood is rated harder as on this website cornus mas has a janka hardness of 2820 but buxus sempervirens is 2940.

dogwood

Global Species : Cornus mas (Cornelian cherry)

box

Global Species : Buxus sempervirens (common box)

the 3" robinia is of interest and i'll pay for a courier.

Aye, Maidenhead. I need an eye test.

I'll have a look at how much Robinia there is but it will be at the weekend; unlit store and have to go to work, damn it, so daylight needed! Will PM you...

Interesting website, thanks for the link Steve.

i live in maidenhead not maidstone.

still a fair distance though.

also i think boxwood is rated harder as on this website cornus mas has a janka hardness of 2820 but buxus sempervirens is 2940.

dogwood

Global Species : Cornus mas (Cornelian cherry)

box

Global Species : Buxus sempervirens (common box)

the 3" robinia is of interest and i'll pay for a courier.

I'll post some pics of Holm oak over the next few days, got some drier Holm oak too but it's spalted and hence a little soft in places, kinda have a project in mind for that anyway. Will get some pics next time I'm near it.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Arbtalk mobile app