Petzl Croll

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use to slings to connect to the two lower d's on my TM leaving my main anchor ring free to connect my main line to

Ah I assumed that was the case but couldn't see the advantage. I put the croll strait too my bridge and leave the ring free for my main line.

Is there an advantage?

Jake:thumbup1:

marcus, ascenders subjected to a fall actually perform better on a 16s 13mm rope, and perform worst on a DB rope

The RW, uni or HH all allow descent and perform well in a fall on a wide variety of ropes the RR also but as theres only a few in the uk, prob' not so relevent.

if guys insist on using only toothed ascenders id advise a backup hitch above the highest ascender

Rope access guys don't use hitches do they?

I'm trying to come up with a simple safe system for ascent without using my VT.

It just seems to make the system too busy.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Ah I assumed that was the case but couldn't see the advantage. I put the croll strait too my bridge and leave the ring free for my main line.

Is there an advantage?

Jake:thumbup1:

Just makes it a bit more comfortable to take a rest and leaves your bridge clutter free to just wack your mainline on

I thought about putting something like a dmm buddy above my hand ascender but wasn't sure if it would need to have some distance between the two for it to work properly

Rope access guys often climb with a independent back-up and have absorbers or other safety built in. They also secure their lines themselves, unlike us where we set our lines remotely with throw lines. In 7 years srt access I have had 2 badly placed high anchors thankfully nothing serious happened, I,'ve always climbed on 2 toothed ascendors backed up to each other.

ascenders are required to break above 4kn. setting anchors remotely and them deflecting etc can generate forces that exceed that. idustry specific testing & research has been done on the matter and had interesting results, especially on DB. irata climbers back up on asaps, buddys etc we do not. If your happy with a system BS just over 4kn then thats your prerogative. I would not advise anyone to use simply a pair of toothed ascenders as sole attachment in our industry. There have been accidents during canopy access on these systems, accidents that would not have had such serious consequences if the practitioners were on a better suited, alternative system.