Chogging down?

michael larder

i always put a running bowine round the trunk with my main line with a prussic (so taking it to SRT). means you can get out of there asap if needs be.

Like you say the only way to learn is do it. i learned a hell of a lot from running the rigging from the ground, rigging off my leather belt and munter hitch once~ not recommended! was only light pieces.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, well done on asking questions and getting stuck in; very commendable

Secondly, I agree with everything that's been said by all the other contributors; however, I do think your boss should be around to guide you through this.

Can your groundie perform an aerial rescue should anything nasty happen?

I appreciate the only way to learn is to do it, but this sounds a tad tricky for a newbie (no offence meant), especially with fencing, driveways and what sounds like an inexperienced grounds person.

Anyway, all the best with it, take your time, good communications with the groundie and go steady

Andrew

The only real advice I can give is make sure you've got a good groundy that'll let it run. Had my first experience about a month ago, dropped a 350kg lump out from 80' up a scots pine stem and the groundy snatched it. Shook me clean off my spikes and can honestly say it's the scariest experience I've ever had, hurt a lot too.

The only real advice I can give is make sure you've got a good groundy that'll let it run. Had my first experience about a month ago, dropped a 350kg lump out from 80' up a scots pine stem and the groundy snatched it. Shook me clean off my spikes and can honestly say it's the scariest experience I've ever had, hurt a lot too.

Hahaha im not going to sleep tonight now!!

Just an idea about ur pulling line, while not ideal but could ur groundy not put pulling line behind a tree, etc so he can pull it from his lowering point.

Not sure that makes sense, but use a tree, pulley, cabdium saver to change the angle of the pull so he can pull stem in 1 direction when standing elsewhere where he can also handle the lowering. Not ideal thou

Nah gaffing out isn't too bad. Sometimes you will get shaken about. Hold on and enjoy the ride!

I'm sure you'll do fine, just think about your cuts, rope placement, and work positioning. Don't take anything too heavy (your groundy has to be able to manage it on deck) and talk each move through with the lad on the deck. Let him know what you want from him.

I'm not sure what to think of your boss if he's leaving an inexperienced crew to carry this out for their first time though!

I'll be looking forward to hearing how it goes for you. Put a couple of beers in the fridge for when you get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

You'll be fine, think I got a little ahead of my self with that lump, in hind sight I should have taken it in two smaller lumps but oh well, im fine and lesson learnt so not all bad. Think the issue was I placed a lot of trust in the groundy that claimed to be a climber of 6 years experience and claimed he knew what he was doing hence why I say to make sure you have an experienced groundy that'll let it run and don't do what I did and drop a big lump out. Just take you time and I'm sure you'll be fine