Vices

Jmill

Hello, just getting into milling and woodwork. Slowly buying bits and pieces for a workshop. Yesterday was lucky enough to be given two great woodworking benches. Only they have no vices on them, i'm going to buy them but apparently there is more to vices than I realised. Can anyone tell me what type of vice I need to fix on my benches. Do I need two or more? Record vices in all numbers or models seem good. But what are the numbers?? Thanks for any advice

correction, i have a 53e. mine is still yet to be fitted in to a bench (i'll do it one day) but these were what we had at my old joinery place.

it still has the threaded studs for putting a pair of jaws in it as most have lost them and people just use large screws instead.

as you can see in the last photo i have modified the back plate and cut away the corners so that the bolt tangs can pass it. this allows a little more opening of the jaws and mine now get 14 1/2" inside but this is without any jaws so i expect 13 1/2" when they are fitted. this is still slightly bigger than the 11 1/2" that most vices allow.

the 53e may be the biggest opening vice but i'm not sure.

P1020400.jpg.5148e62eecdf45937f11bb4b1d5eac91.jpg

P1020401.jpg.0cbc025ce0d5546d99bc590e1fd62e9e.jpg

P1020399.jpg.5d9740e08ce9db5a94e0a11c82f2149e.jpg

Thanks a lot! The ones on ebay you linked look a little old, is it easy enough to bring them back to life with some cleaning and greasing?? If so then they look a bargain compared to other prices!!

yes they'll come back to life easily enough and on the plus side, try breaking one... they're pretty much indestructible...

buying old is usually better when you're talking about old tools like these and even though mine isn't that old i was happier buying that than some new crap that will probably fall apart in 5 mins. it's usually cheaper too.

wd40 and a little wire wool + elbow grease = one working vice:thumbup:

The modern Record vices are made in China I believe, and not as good as the old ones.

I got an ancient one from my dad, seized solid. Took a while (heat, oil, hammer!), but I managed to get it going again. A decent well made piece of kit with another 50 years life in it I hope.