Milled Wallnut

gobbypunk

Hi Guys a few days ago i asked some advise about milling some wallnut I milled it up yesterday some nice bourds (I will post some pics asap) the customer wants me to air dry it and make a dinning table for them nice porject but how do i price it the tree was wind blown in october and the bottom 15ft was hollow how long should I leave it to dry before I make the table .Thanks in advance for your thaughts always good advise from all you guys on arbtalk

Cheers Mark

Hi the botttom 15ft of the tree was hollow so it must have been standing dead or dying so would that have any bearing on how to leave it I was given a standing dead elm and we milled some of that on my mates miser stright away and the boards did not move at all so would this wallnut be similar what do you think

Cheers Mark

just because the tree was hollow does not mean it was dead or dying...

that should not have any bearing on the final moisture content anyway. stack it and store it as others have said and leave for a year after that either bring it in the house or take it to a kiln to finish the job.

walnut rots quite quickly and is a bugger for woodworm so protect it asap.

as wisewood says, get your self a decent moisture meter to track it's progress.

i would also cut a sample block, weigh it (write it on the block) and take it in the house and let it dry over the next few months. weigh it again when its dry and you will be able to work out how much it weighs per ft3, with this figure now known for this tree you can work out how heavy the boards stacked should weigh. this will let you know if they are anywhere near dry or not.

are there any thick bits for bowl turning???

Hi Guys a few days ago i asked some advise about milling some wallnut I milled it up yesterday some nice bourds (I will post some pics asap) the customer wants me to air dry it and make a dinning table for them nice porject but how do i price it the tree was wind blown in october and the bottom 15ft was hollow how long should I leave it to dry before I make the table .Thanks in advance for your thaughts always good advise from all you guys on arbtalk

Cheers Mark

Mark, what've you done with the bottom 15ft hollow bit? would be interested to see some pictures if it's still in a sizeable length/lengths. Where abouts are you?

Hi badgerland the hollow but is still upright in the garden I was going to try and get the home owner to let me do a carving /bench out of it I am in north dorset what would have in mind for the hollow stump it stands 10/15ft tall

cheers Mark

Hi badgerland the hollow but is still upright in the garden I was going to try and get the home owner to let me do a carving /bench out of it I am in north dorset what would have in mind for the hollow stump it stands 10/15ft tall

cheers Mark

Hi Mark. To be honest not really sure. But I fancy making something up using a hollow log but it very much depends on the size and character of the individual log. (Incidentally what sort of diameter is it?) I like to have a few interesting bits of wood laying around the yard for when I get inspired. Then I tend to make up one-off pieces of furniture.

I'm based near Devizes mid-wilts so not a million miles away.

Cheers Dave