Emergency Felling

Got called to a tree on Friday by Frank, 50-60ft beech, meripilus victim, basal flare had a big crack in it, tree lifting in gusting winds. Had to fell it into field and clean up the mess yesterday. My question is does anyone have info or guidelines on management of, responsibility of property owners etc. The tree was right next to a very busy driveway. Tried to explain to the managers of the business park, and the nursing home that it could potentially fail while i am standing here telling them, they have a dangerous tree which will come over and kill someone if it hits car or ambulance. Not interested can we get a quote in for next week!!!! After a reasonably direct conversation we got the go ahead, i want info where the responsibility lies, ie they must provide a safe environment at all times etc.

IMG_2661.jpg.911489889ecfd241870986d2c8c162c2.jpg

IMG_2651.jpg.6b157ae1874c8ff73f2a3f0c49e26879.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say the buck stops with the owner, simple as that. If you gave advice and they knocked you back cos you were too expensive or they wanted to get quotes and it failed and took someone or thing out i think they might be on a sticky wicket in court.

IMO

If you have advised strongly that the tree is dangerous and in imminant danger of falling over, showing ground heave etc.. and that owner then waits for other quotes to come in without explaining to the other quotee's that it is an emergency situation, it may be deemed he has caused uneccessary delay and not acted quickly enough.

If the tree say fell over and killed someone a week after you stressed how dangerous it was and it became known that you have advised him of the fact, he wouldn't have a saddams chance of avoiding being strung up.