Buying a woodland

Guess it's what you like

My idea of hell would be one of those giant cruise ships...

But every day when I walk through my little bit of woods I am overwhelmed by just how beautiful it is....

I spent a whole year of my education standing in a cold wet field 'doing sports'

Shame is the field was very dull, as was sports in which I have no interest

But a year spent standing in a bit of nice woodland would have been terrific

Different people different strokes I guess....

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no doubt that land prices are rising, and quickly too....but nothing like the profits made from bricks and mortar. We bought ours (just over 5 acres) for £6000 an acre while 18months on, the value has risen to £10,000 an acre....but.....there are a number of factors here, not least being a certain zeitgeist moment, a bit like the massive increase in allotment waiting lists....where there has been a definite cultural change regarding the natural world, insecure finances, environmental anxiety and a renewed commitment and awareness of land(smallholdings, self-sufficiency, off-grid living etc).....which, a bit like a property bubble, has led to inflated prices which may not be at all sustainable....or may go through the roof. My understanding of investments (having never had any) are that it is always a gamble anyway....and at the worst, you would still have the woodland, if not a massive financial gain.

My dad bought a fair amount of woodland/grazing at £400 an acre, for a long time the value remained at £400 an acre. The value of it now is about £2000 an acre.

Yeah, it's been a good investment, but looking forward I can't see how the grazing rental/ timber sales can justify the capital value. On our grazing land the rental just about covers the cost of renewing the fencing.....

I think buying woodland is more about having somewhere to chill out, and doing something for nature. And for me that really is priceless :)

Very nice healthy chock full of wildlife woodland around Chernobel.

Sans humans.

Tells a sad story unfortunately.

About the effect of humans on the natural environment.

m

Can't recall the detail, but I saw a TV show which highlighted the risk of fire from forest debris which is tinder dry and not being broken down by fungi. Apparently, if there is a fire, the resultant contaminated smoke would be a real problem! I'll have to try and find detail of the TV show, it was a good one.