~ Help on IDs please ~

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Used to be able to ident lime species from a winter twig but not any more, not sure on the last one and those thorns don't look like there in 3's to me on the third.

There was a time I could ident:001_smile: You're right about triacanthos. I was getting carried away!

The pictures are a bit fuzzy, that porbably explains the variety of answers. It's a good idea when photographong buds with an autofocus camera to put something (even if it's just the back of your hand) right behind the bud to give the autofocus something to bounce off, otherwise it gives you the background in focus and the bud blurred like in these pictures.

Fair enough comment about the photos. I did take other images over my hand for exactly that reason - but they didn't come out well either so I didn't post them. I was doing a favour for someone (a 'quick' survey they said, it was over 200 trees that I had to drive 2 hours to see!) and so I rushed a bit taking the images.

I'm pleased with some of the answers thanks (palm tree?!?!), as I had on my list:

1. Acer platanoides

2. Prunus sp.

3. ??? - someone ID'd this as Robina which is a good shout. It made me realise that I have only ever seen Robina in adult form, not as a wee one...

4. Tilia sp. - I should have been more clear on this, I knew it was Lime, but was trying to work out if it was small or large leaved. An old forester told me about 15 years ago how to do this from winter buds, but I've forgotten!

5. Ulmus sp.

So, your answers are pretty much in line with mine. I really appreciate the input though fella's, so thanks very much! Its funny how you can let doubt creep in when you are rushing!