spill kit?

polish pete

few days ago working on forestry commission land I got asked about usual stuff they expect from people working on their land: ppe, first aid, risk assessment and then about spill kit. and I had to say "no" to this one, later I googled the stuff but there only seem to be big 15, 30 litre kits. We work as a team of 2, 3 in the area to which we have to walk for half an hour. What would be expected from us to have as a spill kit? Can I make one myself or does it have to have some certificate or norm?

cheers

We get ours from Parkers. I think they're about £15 - 20, contains cushions booms etc. Never had to use one yet. FC seem happy so long as its in the van, don't need to carry it in to site. If you're using a machine, obviously it should be in the cab (or similarly accessible).

Their latest wheeze was to ask if we'd had training in its use! :confused1::001_rolleyes:

hi pete we are a team of 2/3 subing to a large forestry co and we have had the same questions asked ppe,first aid ,and spill kit fortunally they supplyed a spill kit,all they are are absorbent mats approx 300mm x 450mm all we do is fold one up put in poly bag and staple the top over so it does not get wet and put it in your bag then its there if you need it,but talking to anothere team and they used puppy training pads from pets at home

I do some cutting on Tilhill land. They are happy (for chainsaws etc only) to just carry a shovel, rubble sacks and cable ties. That way I can clean up small spills by shovelling contaminated soil in to a rubble sack and sealing it with a cable tie.

Obviously this wouldn't work for larger spills.