any good??

vduben

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of my groundies wore one and it saved his life.I cut a branch off from about 80ft up,I called before I cut,he wasn't paying attention as he was putting his ear plugs in,the branch hit his helmet,torqued he head around and gave him a "standing eight count".

We bought him a new helmet!

I'm not sure if you can attach ear muffs to that helmet,he used ear plugs and safety glasses.

I think its a nice light weight helmet, good for rec and summer climbing.

I personally went for a Black Diamond half dome which is seriously light, Although I do not like the polystyrene it does'nt leave much of an air gap so the venting is not as good as my Vertex.

I'll mainly use the BD is summer as i'll use ear plugs and glasses.

The Vertex is still tops in my opinion, its just so practical and well thought out, I love the simplicity of ear muffs and visor, much easier to flip up and lift off for communicating. I think my white Vertex is cooler to wear in summer too, especially without ear muffs.

I saw this Elios on a website, it has a sort of face shield, mainly for ice climbing.

A42950DV.jpg.de8674beac06927fd0461a03944dce7c.jpg

One of my groundies wore one and it saved his life.I cut a branch off from about 80ft up,I called before I cut,he wasn't paying attention as he was putting his ear plugs in,the branch hit his helmet,torqued he head around and gave him a "standing eight count".

We bought him a new helmet!

I'm not sure if you can attach ear muffs to that helmet,he used ear plugs and safety glasses.

That must of been a nightmare mate, I still get vision of nearly taking a groundie out, i'm certain the helmet would not have saved him. The guy in question was a climber I ground for him most days, but this time I was climbing, it was a smash it down Ash job. I was cutting as big a bits as poss, then he'd come in and process as I moved.

I got into position looked down to him, got eye contact and gave him the "nod" I then made my cut, just as I was finishing my back cut I quickly looked down to double check and to my horror he was under me processing the last bit I cut! I stopped grabbed the branch but could'nt stop it, I yelled but he could'nt hear me with his saw going. The branch smashed down barley 1 meter beside him.

Scared the **** out of me more than him!

Now i'm super cautious. What bugged me, is the eye contact and nod thing is what he always did when I was on the ground to let me know he was about to knock another piece out, when I did it to him he thought it was permission to enter drop zone. Why did he not see from my position I was about to cut?

He did take responsabilty that he made a mistake, but that did not make me feel any better.

I've been struck by to, again it was due to a break down of cummunication, climber knocking bits out before all clear from ground crew. Thats why I firmly believe the ground is just as if not more dangerous than climbing.

the black diamond half dome can have brackets put on it so you can put ear defenders on it. i climb in one and find it really comfy and have no problems. beats the vertex any day. a good summer helmet is the mammut one. not sure about attachments for it coz i dont think you can get them but glasses and ear defs are the way forward. pretty sure i saw treeworker with some at the aa show.

I have a KONG MAGIC climbing helmet its similar style to petzl rock climbing but all black with built on sordin ear muffs and mesh visor very light and i love it.

Abbey garden pro/ machienary.co.uk

Does it not piss you off when those stupid mounts for the ear muffs keep pop'ing off?

I think its a good helmet when you buy one of those mounts which you have to bolt on by drilling a hole in the side of the helmet.