Who would buy a chainsaw off eBay?

Arborwear UK

The only questions are regarding privacy. What information is public, and what info is available to 'the authorities'. What about when equipment gets sold and the database isn't updated by the seller?

The DB would quickly become useless

If stolen saw numbers are readable then the data base has some use, if you legitimately own a saw why would the serial number need to be secret?

I would not buy a saw with a ground off serial number, I know on Stihl saws the number is duplicated within the crankcase halves, but in real terms that is of little use.

The data base does not need to be linked to individuals who own the saws.

If saw No. 123abc-245 is stolen it can be flagged up in red as a stolen saw do not buy.

Saws changing hands legitimately, are not an issue, and will not be flagged as stolen.

As to "what should be available to the authorities" If I get my saws stolen the authorities are welcome to the serial numbers and my address, perhaps I will get them back.

I envisage a sub section to the forum, that allows all saws to be logged, it will also allow forum users to record stolen saw details.

A simple search on a serial number database, should help buyers to avoid buying stolen goods.

H-A

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, so a simple interface for an individual to enter a serial number and it's result to display 'suspicious' or 'no history'?

If suspicious, we could then expand it request further info.

Yes that sounds ok.

Perhaps the ebay title should contain the serial number.

eg "MS200t 162480146X for sale"

If it is logged as stolen it will be on the data base.

H-A

The answer is "Buy with your eyes open" Buying of a registered business seller on Ebay gives right in law to return suspicious goods. Paypal or your credit card will protect your money. Buy from a "private" seller gives little or no right of return. If an advert states no returns then its time to look elsewhere.

On the subject of a database, love them or hate them, Stihl policy has the right idea. We are encouraged to register all new machines at point of sale. This means that if the machine is ever stolen , and then resurfaces , the supplying dealer and original purchaser can be traced and its history followed through. I dont know if other brands, Husqvarna etc do the same but in my eyes it can only be a good thing.

Buy from a "private" seller gives little or no right of return.

Nope, even from a private seller, ebay/paypal give the buyer 45 days to open a dispute if it's not as described. 45 days is a long time for someone to use/abuse/damage whatever they've bought and then decide to send it back.

Unfortunatley I found this out by experience.