Anyone measured how they spend their time?

ArthurBottlesworth

I know nothing about firewood business, but I came on this website to learn...

I do have three hungry woodburners and enough woodland to supply them, and possibly supply a few more people with fuel......and I do like a good business plan...

I cut my own logs and have done so for 20 years with old landrover, trailer, chainsaw and splitting axe

Have slowly geared up to alpine tractor, hydraulic splitter... And this year moving to ibc containers

I dont see this as a business for me ( too old , fat and lazy ) and I spend too long sitting in woods drinking coffee and enjoying the woods, but I am interested in it as a business ...just for my own amusement as I do like a business plan

I think problem is there are a lot of areas where time can be wasted...

I've been rained off most of jan and feb ......I'd guess some of you have too, and before I took this more seriously I hadn't realised how much time was wasted because of the weather

But what I'm asking is

Has any small producer actually measured how they really spend their time ?

Worked out hour by hour what they are doing?

Wouldn't be too hard to knock up an Excel spreadsheet to measure what you do, and how much time is wasted, and more importantly, where it is wasted. At work I use a sheet set up by a company that works out our daily, weekly, monthly and yearly productivity for all sections of our company. It also keeps track of any financial targets, costs, outlays etc, and is a really useful tool when looking at where we need to concentrate in order to improve. This is for a office interiors supply company though, so would mean absolutely nothing in the arb trade.

But thinking how it works, a simpler version could easily cover what you'd need.

Not all time sitting around is time wasted. I don't spend enough time thinking. I need to do more as this is where the ideas for future growth come from. Time spent thinking isn't always productive, but is it wasted?

As for the weather, we've lost one day in over ten years and I was disappointed with that. But then we're soft Southerners so we don't get bad weather.

The most important time spent in the timber game is pricing.

That's when you make (or lose) money.

I think Mr. Jenks answer is spot on.

In your situation, when you've taken a step back to think, as you have by starting this thread, and the thinking is done, the rest, I'm afraid is just hard graft, but the easiest hard graft you can make it, if you see what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Yes I measured my time now I dont do logs :biggrin:

I think if you were doing logs even as part of your living you would have to have it organised so you work in a large barn or poly tunnel. Even a 9m x9m poly tunnel will only set u back 5k but not working for 2 months will cost alot more than that. Dont over think it dont under think it.

Yes I measured my time now I dont do logs :biggrin:

I think if you were doing logs even as part of your living you would have to have it organised so you work in a large barn or poly tunnel. Even a 9m x9m poly tunnel will only set u back 5k but not working for 2 months will cost alot more than that. Dont over think it dont under think it.

I measured my time!.......I don't do logs anymore either. :biggrin: