Ball lock krabs

adamkaye123

Ball locks are fiddly as someone else said if you have sausage fingers.

The plastic gates are not great as was proved when one failed on me dragging my truck after it buried itself half a Meter in the ground. This made me think what would happen if I fell 30m shock loading my system by a million tons my ilegal carabiner could fly open and hurt me.

after having a look through the loler guidlines, I cant find anywhere where it actually states what kind, or type of caribiners are to be used, It looks like its another urban myth, he says, they say, your not allowed, type thing. If thes caribiners are sutible for climbing, caving , and all sort of other strenious outdoor activities, whot makes then not usable for tree climbing......looks like this is another part of the industry where the words of a few are being taken as law by a lot of others not willing, or wanting to ask questions.....again common sense being overtaken by myths and one sided opinions

Ball locks are fiddly as someone else said if you have sausage fingers.

The plastic gates are not great as was proved when one failed on me dragging my truck after it buried itself half a Meter in the ground. This made me think what would happen if I fell 30m shock loading my system by a million tons my ilegal carabiner could fly open and hurt me.

Dragging a truck out with a climbing carabiner isn't really a comparison. I think if you fell 30m the crab wouldn't be your first thought. More likely the crack as you broke your spine.

I really like the ball lock on my main line. Fair few times coming out the tree I've had a standard 3 way crab catch on a branch and move the first two actions by itself while I'm writhing around trying to move past branches.

These were mentioned when I did my LOLER training. If I remember correctly the issue may be that in the early days of Ball Lock type crabs Petzl only specified them as suitable for recreational use, not commercial use. It was, I think, just a technicality in the intended parameters for their use. Please correct me if I've not remembered the details correctly. I believe their is an updated version and the accompanying literature allows commercial use as well as recreational.:thumbup1:

Dragging a truck out with a climbing carabiner isn't really a comparison. I think if you fell 30m the crab wouldn't be your first thought. More likely the crack as you broke your spine.

I really like the ball lock on my main line. Fair few times coming out the tree I've had a standard 3 way crab catch on a branch and move the first two actions by itself while I'm writhing around trying to move past branches.

Doh!:lol: