Can anyone lend me 56-60" 088 Alaskan milling kit?

Big J

Dear all,

Can anyone lend me a 56" or 60" 088 milling set up for one job? I've got a 50" set up (which suits me well for most things) but an over sized sweet chestnut is calling for a larger set up. I've got about 180 cubic foot to mill, obviously any damage will be paid for and a hire fee could be paid. I've done more chainsaw milling than my wrists would like, so I know what I'm doing!

I'd prefer 56" as it's all I need throat wise, and it will be more rigid than 60".

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan

Dear all,

Can anyone lend me a 56" or 60" 088 milling set up for one job? I've got a 50" set up (which suits me well for most things) but an over sized sweet chestnut is calling for a larger set up. I've got about 180 cubic foot to mill, obviously any damage will be paid for and a hire fee could be paid. I've done more chainsaw milling than my wrists would like, so I know what I'm doing!

I'd prefer 56" as it's all I need throat wise, and it will be more rigid than 60".

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan

HI BIG J theres chap on here call BOB he may let you have one mate i will pm thanks jon :thumbup:

I've got a logosol big mill system for an 880. your welcome to borrow it, I'm in south devon!!

Hi Shillo,

Many thanks for the offer - the Alaskan mill I have, it's just I need a slightly bigger throat for a job than my 50" bar offers. I reckon the Logosol will not give me much more than the 42" I already get. Thank you anyway.

Jon - I've PMed you.

Jonathan

If it's a roller nose bar and you just need a little bit more throat have you tried "the coin", an invention made by me valued at potentially £3.-!

Put a coin of the biggest possible size you can fit on the ring of rivets that hold the sprocket (you can go slightly bigger than the rivets) on both sides of he bar. Then add a couple of (the same) coins on the powerhead side to make the same height off the bar. Put these on top, as wide apart as possible for stability and levelness.

You do have to keep the added height in mind when setting up the mill. I put a coin (same coin...) on a string so I could just change the setting on the mill by taking away 1 coin thickness off the marks on posts.

You've got the mill , so your just needing a bar ???,, got 60 inch cannon , i use 3120 but bar is stihl fitment ,,

I've got the mill, but not the longer rails (mine is at capacity at 50"). Do you have an Alaskan mill to fit the 60" bar Graham?

Ive been using as pictures on carriage with moveable ground rails, only problem is max length of 10 foot,

Ive got a home made alaskan type with rollers which bolts to the bar , i cant find a picture on this lap top , but ive got one somewhere and from memory i could cut 140 cm wide,,

IMGP8272.jpg.1c0007eecb20b392a16279c656d938d6.jpg

IMGP8269.jpg.40e45699e061dccdefbd98fced37e591.jpg

Ive been using as pictures on carriage with moveable ground rails, only problem is max length of 10 foot,

Ive got a home made alaskan type with rollers which bolts to the bar , i cant find a picture on this lap top , but ive got one somewhere and from memory i could cut 140 cm wide,,

Hi

can I ask what you're sawing there? Looks an impressive rig.