Ash tree removal from house.

Rich Rule

This tree went over in the high winds last weekend. Luckily no one was in the house on the right, as the homeowner was on holiday. The house on the left had a 70 year old lady in there when the tree hit. Luckily no one was hurt but there was a lot of damage to the buildings and roofs.

A 40t crane was on site but the removal wasn't straight forward as most of the leaders had fractured which were supporting the tree, plus it was still on the stump.

It was a bit of a tricky one to work out and some of the techniques might not be textbook but the crane had plenty of lifting capacity and the lift supervisor decided it would be the safest and best way to minimise the risk to both property and myself. The problem being a safe place to make a cut but then the tree going mid cut...

All worked out well in the end and done by 2 ish. Someone has plenty of logs to move today though.

Anyway hope you like the pictures and video. :lol::lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUpUs7HgnsM]Ash Crane Removal - YouTube[/ame]

house.jpg.f2b5744a989976595a4627fad3ce1dab.jpg

IMG_2364.jpg.9164967d5fab5d849bf08a071787c68f.jpg

G0070332.jpg.d32a7cf1ba3e3d9bf7fda915949fa786.jpg

G0020290.jpg.127854877f47aaf8fad607d952e18d24.jpg

G0010282.jpg.199bf0cac702f3396729a4de05705f40.jpg

GOPR0275.jpg.00db58b8ebc2994502aa22c7d08be0ec.jpg

IMG_2355.jpg.35b10e0af6e3a9ee4d08006cc50c6521.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This tree went over in the high winds last weekend. Luckily no one was in the house on the right, as the homeowner was on holiday. The house on the left had a 70 year old lady in there when the tree hit. Luckily no one was hurt but there was a lot of damage to the buildings and roofs.

A 40t crane was on site but the removal wasn't straight forward as most of the leaders had fractured which were supporting the tree, plus it was still on the stump.

It was a bit of a tricky one to work out and some of the techniques might not be textbook but the crane had plenty of lifting capacity and the lift supervisor decided it would be the safest and best way to minimise the risk to both property and myself. The problem being a safe place to make a cut but then the tree going mid cut...

All worked out well in the end and done by 2 ish. Someone has plenty of logs to move today though.

Anyway hope you like the pictures and video. :lol::lol:

HI RICH nice one there all so looking on videos on net of felling of the duke of wellington cedar at kingston lacy mate and the national trust good pics thanks jon

Cheers. I tied into the hook and cleared a fair bit of stuff into the garden. Ties into some bits on the roof but the more we removed the more unstable it felt. Hence using the crane to break snap cuts and tear the leaders away from the roof. I felt I had to make the step cuts pretty thick as I didn't want the piece breaking off or the stem falling away from under me. Also it gave me time to get out of Dodge.

The structural engineer working on behalf of the houses insurance company was reall satisfied with how the job was conducted. The only additional damage would have been a few roof tiles and some guttering I pulled off to stop it falling on someone below.