Moovin Ones Butt

FriarsGorse

I used to use a n A frame to load my defender. I have a friend who does traditional timber framong and got him to make me a Cruck frame that i could take apart to transport. You will also need three big ground pegs and a two bits of rope.

assemble the A frame so the cross bar is sat on top of your log. knock two of your pegs in at the feet of your A frame to stop the frame from sliding when you pull up with your landy.

knock the third peg in to the ground a couple of meters back from the head of the frame and tie a rope to it. then stand the frame up and tie the rope to the top of the frame so it can come up and just past the vertical so the rope is holding it in place.

lay the frame back downand tie the log to the A frame cross bar ( i used a carabiner and climbing fig 8 so i could lower the log once the frame was up). run a rope from the top of the A frame to the back of your landy. Pull the frame up and the log will be lifted into the air. once the frame is vertical and the back rope is ballancing every thing untie the rope from the landy and get someone to hold it. back your truck bed under the log. lower the log.

My most usefull bit of kit is my Hi-lift jack you ban lift, push and pull with them. you can lift 4 to 5 ft at a time depending on which one you buy.

another way to load your pick up with a highlift is, to take your back drop down door off. stand your log up lean the log against the back of your truck then jack it up and it will slide its self in. its easyer to do with a log that stands higher than the bed of your pickup.

i have also used the axle and tow hitch mount of and old trailer.

jack up one end of a log. slide the axle half way along the log and lower the log dow onto it. attatch it in place with a ratchet strap. then attatch the tow ball hitch to one end of the log with ratchet straps and hook it up to the back of your truck. me and my dad have brought loads of logs out of the woods this way. DONT DO IT ON A PUBLIC ROAD

Someone already posted this , so apologies for those that have seen it before

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u8yjasHzhA]Lewis Winch lifts massive log into truck, most POWERFUL portable winch ever!! - YouTube[/ame]

It is amazing what used to be achieved with rope, levers and wedges in times before hydraulic power

Thanks for all the help on this everyone ... thanks for the vid farmer and thanks Tom for several attempts to help me out. Hi lift jack jack has got me thinking as a more portable solution would be best.

As for the Weetabix I just have my doubts ! I think the wife has some bute for her oss I could try ! :thumbup1:

Some how i forgot to share my biggest break through in standing up logs.

when the log is laying down nail a thick plank of wood to the end that is going to be the bottom. you want the plank down against the floor. then jack up the other end and the plank will stop the log from rolling to one side and falling off your jack. when it is stood up right stick a plank the same thickness under the other side so the log is level. this will make it easyer to carve right to the bottom of the log with out touching the floor with your saw. when you a finished just tip the carving to one side and bash the plank off. :thumbup:

Some how i forgot to share my biggest break through in standing up logs.

when the log is laying down nail a thick plank of wood to the end that is going to be the bottom. you want the plank down against the floor. then jack up the other end and the plank will stop the log from rolling to one side and falling off your jack. when it is stood up right stick a plank the same thickness under the other side so the log is level. this will make it easyer to carve right to the bottom of the log with out touching the floor with your saw. when you a finished just tip the carving to one side and bash the plank off. :thumbup:

Ingenious mate, yet so simple.

Nice one, gonna remember that for future endeavors.