Stihl MS 880 chainsaw

New Boy

we run 36 and 60 inch bars on our 88's but personally I prefer the 3120xp, has a manual oiler for the big dead stuff and is easier to get bars and chains for. (as the 88's run a bar mount unique to the current stihl line up)

Stihl big bar mount has been the same since the contra 1106. Does the 088 run a different mount, iam not so sure.....

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a MS880 c/w 48" Stihl bar, the motor is all I expected, but does have a lot of vibration, the bar however is nothing short of c**p, it is used for splitting lengthwise large logs prior to milling, but has too much flex, wish I had just purchased the motor unit and gone Canon or Sugi or GB(if I could in the UK)

I had both my 088 and 880 ported as they are very disappointing when left stock. More torque than a 066 but less speed. They are better with a 36-50 inch bar and will outcut the 066 in very hard wood. Yrs they vibrate but with a sharp chain they cur fast enough that you shouldnt be using them more.thannancouple.of hours before going to a smaller saw.

Stihl big bar mount has been the same since the contra 1106. Does the 088 run a different mount, iam not so sure.....

There is no other saw stihl currently sells that will run big mount bars (it is the same as the old 090's etc that you mention). And anything older (aside from the 084) your not meant to run due to no brake etc.

So why keep it? Surely they could make the run the same bars as the rest of the stihl line up.

88's do come into there own on jobs sometimes

oYjya4G.jpg?1

There is no other saw stihl currently sells that will run big mount bars (it is the same as the old 090's etc that you mention). And anything older (aside from the 084) your not meant to run due to no brake etc.

So why keep it? Surely they could make the run the same bars as the rest of the stihl line up.

oYjya4G.jpg?1

What about the 051/076? They have brakes, as does the 08s, both of those run the D033 mount.

Also, as those series of saws do not have to comply with PUWER, so unless stated otherwise, use is still allowed unless the site owner/contractor/insurance states otherwise

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

oYjya4G.jpg?1

Thats more of a mans 090 size tree, not for boys with there 088's :lol: