Willing to do voluntary work

David_chainsaw

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sit at his computer all day he came on looked on here and his pms and didn't reply funny how I couldn't get anyone to reply to me but soon as i get ticked off with people messing me about you all on one i have applied to collage learning my trees and fungi knots things like that I'm just getting so frustrated maybe my comment was a bit wrong but just how I feel right now and I do apologize to sthilben.

Sit at his computer all day he came on looked on here and his pms and didn't reply funny how I couldn't get anyone to reply to me but soon as i get ticked off with people messing me about you all on one i have applied to collage learning my trees and fungi knots things like that I'm just getting so frustrated maybe my comment was a bit wrong but just how I feel right now and I do apologize to sthilben.

Just think before you post, anything you post on here is there for all to see and if any potential employers read through your previous post they might well be put off. We're not 'all on one' we are just trying to save you from yourself.

Thanks for replying to my PM. Oh that's right you haven't. Tried to give you a bit of advice and thrown back in my face.

Here's the PM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK friend.

I would like to offer some help in you getting employment. I am at the other end of the country so am not in a position to offer you work but I would like to pass on a few bits of advice which I have given apprentices I have taught to give them a good start in their chosen careers. As a regular to the forum I have been given good advice so i would like to pay some of that good will back. If I can.

Persistence is a good quality to have but impatience is not. I have been reading through the posts and as someone who hires employees I would recommend giving the member on here who has offered you work a bit of time to reply. This should be done in PM rather than publicly.

As has already been said by other posters, it is a good quality to be friendly with members, but if they are offering employment a bit of humility and reverence is in order. ( mate, bud, pal, mucker etc are not words which will endear you to many employers)

Have you got a CV if you have I can check it and give recommendations, if any, on improvements as I have looked at hundreds, there could be a few things there which have stopped you getting to the interview stage.

Questions which I always ask in interviews are what have you done recently to improve your chances of getting a job?. What are your interests?

Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?

Think of answers to these questions. If you get the chance of an interview be prepared. If you are just looking to drag brash then at best that is all you will ever do.

Aspire to do more. But be realistic.

In the mean time learn. I have met many workers with difficulties but they are still able to pick stuff up.

learn to identify trees for example. As you are going into that line of work. This will impress an employee. Learn knots and fungi, there are apps on here. your good lady seems happy to help so use this valuable resource to help you.

learn to stay safe. Go to the websites on the right of the screen such as FR Jones and learn the names of all the equipment that we use in the industry.

Understand the difference between type C chainsaw trousers and type A for example. learn the different chain types and what chains go on what bars.

Name a few 50cc models?.

Name the stihl and husky top handle models?.

Name a few silky models?.

Who makes the Protos helmet?

These questions are not important but if you are going to be conversing with other tree workers it would be good to have some knowledge of them.

It is a way of life for alot of tree surgeons so the more involved and enthusiastic you are the better.

You don't need training for this you can train yourself. then when you go for your tickets you will have a good start.

One thing I don't like in a candidate is cockiness and talking to other employers this has become more and more prevalent at interviews. and switch the phone off.

I hope this is of use to you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would class that as CONSTRUCTIVE advice. I hope other more grateful new members of the industry can benefit from this.

david! I have spoken to lots of lads that are at the top of the tree game on this forum. Not one of them as got a ticket to their name. What they have got is life skills and common sense.

Think before you type my friend.

Hello,

No one is going to mess you around, there are some very good, genuine & generous people on this forum. However, you do seem somewhat presumptuous - people are not always hovering over a computer waiting for the next message.

Please be patient & Im sure something will turn up, good luck in your search.

N