Insurance regarding tree fallen into building.

owain

Evening all, took a look at this job in the morning. Trees punched through the roof and is leaning on the house. Looking at the job the only option is to dismantle the tree off the roof with the use of a crane.

Only thing is had a friend say to be extremely wary of their insurers trying to pin the damage on our removal of the tree from the roof and wash themselves of liability.

Is this a possibility? If so would pictures of the damage close up prior to works be enough to absolve us of any liability etc?? Just asking for peoples general experience with this as damage on this level is a bit of a new one for me. uploadfromtaptalk1392490196096.jpg.8e3b8fa9f69db17c95610684012d7b9e.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1392490180349.jpg.af2e0c92eb6d64a131508f07fed4ba67.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1392490161982.jpg.8fa136a7912addba29e0be4daf260838.jpg

I haven't come across an insurance company which has done it yet, but they do have the tendency to want to get out of anything and everything they can!

The minimum I would do is photographs, ideally I would want a visit from the insurance company before commencement of works but given how busy they are at the moment I doubt that would happen?!

It depends on the insurance company, I dealt with a 10k claim recently, and the insurance company were fantastic. They did not even send out a loss adjuster, gave green lights all the way, to get it sorted before Christmas.

Include big tarps in your price to cover up when tree gone.

If you know a good roofer, get him there tomorrow, so his price can be emailed Monday morning.

H-A

Edited by H-A
OP added "assessor coming Monday"

Cheers guys I think it'll all be pretty smooth. Seems like crane maybe a no go guy reckons unless I'm the appointed person they won't be able to do it. Maybe telehandler strip out tree and then use it to pull the stem upright.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

When I was insurance assessor

Had huge tree fall out of churchyard onto mohammeds car

Car was reduced to 18 inches high

Reported back to insurer

They told me to tell mohammed that ' it was act of god and not paying'

You know when something isn't going to go well

Wrote and told mohammed " act of god insurer not paying-"

Started chain reaction

Vicar rang - explained

Rural dean rang - explained

This went on all day until eventually

Bishop of ****** rang me

Explained to him it was ACT OF GOD AND INSURERS NOT PAYING

To which he said

I AM THE BISHOP AND I'M TELLING YOU YOUNG MAN I'M HAVING NO ACTS OF GOD IN MY PARISH !

That was end of the matter

This is 100% true

Maybe telehandler strip out tree and then use it to pull the stem upright.

Hell of a potential for a f-up there.

The tree will make a much bigger hole if it hits the house the second time with the branches removed. :laugh1: The telehandler won't be much cop if you pull it too far back either. And do you reckon H+S would be OK with you climbing the tree when the only thing holding it up was the telehandler? :lol: