How do we not have a chainsaw photo thread?

wyk

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what happens to chain speed on saws like this ? my c/saw strides and boots are rated 20m/s are they still within regulation with a ported saw ?

Crazy saw btw

I have never seen a test on ported saws. However, the more power, the more speed, the longer the bar, the better it's chances are at getting ya. All those fibres have to wrap around the sprocket to stop a saw. If it is fast enough to cut some of them, and long enough to buy itself some time as the trapped fibres find their way towards the sprocket while it is cutting fibres... well...

I have seen what an 88cc ported saw can do to chainsaw boots. It treats them like they are made of leather.

That saw is just too hot for a work saw. She's in parts on my work bench as we speak. Bringing the timing back under control and checking a few things out.

• 2 weeks later...
How do you find the 241 mate? Thinking of getting one in the new year

Well, the choices in the 40cc market are sparse at the moment. The husky 543 is a rebadged Zenoah. So I would get the zenoah for 150 bills less if I had the option. The 545 is still a 50cc in weight and size. The 261 is well into 50cc territory(but it has gobs of power with just a few small mods). The Shindaiwa 40cc is a good little saw, but parts are a pain. Still, I would have chosen that over the 241 had I the option. The 241 fell in my lap, so to speak. So, basically, if ya want a solid build that will last and has good grunt, the 241 is it. I am going to port it next week. Well see how she goes. It's my personal saw, so the porting will probably be a bit aggressive. With a muff mod, she revs out like a 40cc is supposed to. They are a bit tame on the throttle for a 40cc saw by my tastes.

what happens to chain speed on saws like this ? my c/saw strides and boots are rated 20m/s are they still within regulation with a ported saw ?

Crazy saw btw

Most saws run much faster chain speeds than PPE is tested and rated to - it's a fallacy that PPE will protect against a saw whatever. I have a factory spec Stihl 361 running a chain & sprocket combination stated in the manual as an option and that's turning over 35m/s.

Fair enough, will keep my 545 for a bit longer then! How's things going in Ireland?

I can't complain, Bud. Things are going smoothly...mostly. Good to see you're doing well, too!