Took my saws in for a "service"

ecotreecare

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I sort of have issues with this, too. I mean, at least ask the customer if he wants the saw back in one piece so he can sell it as a parts saw. I know it costs more money and time, but that should be included in your service, and you should inform the customer if further work is to be done, it would be easier if it were in parts. If they want it back together, put it back at no charge as you took the thing apart int he first place and charged them for it. If you are halfway decent, you should be able to put that saw together in a few minutes. Have the customer sign off on the form that he wanted it assembled even though it is non working, and why it isn't working, and let the guy have his saw back so he doesn't lose his parts. Also, I just feel like a failure if I return a saw in parts that came in to me nearly whole. I even put them back together if I know they are coming back to me later unless the customer asks otherwise, and in no small part because I want all the bits coming back to me as well and not ending up on the floor of their shed.

When I was assessor got call to go and look at american mobile home belonging to a large national company

Somebody at co had told them to strip it down

They had left engine in bay but removed every part from it including crank, pistons etc ---

Utterly bonkers - they then quoted company £15k to put it back together

At this point company discovered someone had fitted a turbo so warranty was invalid

Garage were out to screw company, and thought they had them

Early days of internet, but I contacted USA and bought brand new crated engine for £3500 moved vehicle and saved them £10k

I could never undertand why they hadn't removed engine .....

Did something similar in mercedes main agent with international sports star

He'd taken it in with ' funny noise ' from engine

Mercedes agent had removed engine and totally stripped it to every component

Nothing showed lightest damage/wear so bill was totally down to him

He did it again following with another assessor

Exensive hobby

Have had both mercedes and bmw garages strip engines that have thrown a rod through the block --- just to check if its repairable !

Then invoiced customer for 8 hours useless work .....

I hate mercedes and bmw garages,

put it back at no charge as you took the thing apart int he first place and charged them for it.

Why on earth would anyone put it back together at no charge?

As dealers we can't win.

If we use our gut instinct and have a quick peep at the piston, then tell the customer the cost of repair, we are only guessing at the internal, unseen damage. So we would have to quote high to cover everything.

Ok, so very little labour involved in this scenario.

So to be accurate we need to strip it, and prepare an accurate quote based on what we have seen. Again not much labour involved, saws are very quick to take apart. Often I do not charge for this, especially if results in a new saw being purchased.

But if we put it back together its going to take a long time, and whats the point? Just so that the customer can fleece someone on Ebay with a saw classed as 'running last time it worked'

When the E bay buyer complains to the seller, the seller blames the dealer who "repaired it but it still did not work when it came back."

As dealers we can't win.

So to be accurate we need to strip it, and prepare an accurate quote based on what we have seen. Again not much labour involved, saws are very quick to take apart. Often I do not charge for this, especially if results in a new saw being purchased.

The pictures of the returned saws shows no methodical approach to fault finding, but great cleaning skills.

If scored bore/piston was thought to be the trouble then pull the cylinders, don't just clean the saw and take the carbs off.

He did not take the exhaust off 200t, that takes little time, and shows a lot.

You can get the cylinder off a 200t in less than 10 minutes, instead he stripped the handle and took the carb to bits, a little strange.

H-A

But we only have half a picture here.The bits in the box are filthy, whereas the bits on the bench are clean.

There are tools on the bench indicating that some reassembly has already taken place.

I'll bet the OP has done the cleaning, not the dealer.

It would be interesting to know from the OP what the dealers report said, and how much, or little he was charged for the diagnosis.

Its a fact of life that none of us like to hear the truth when it involves money and often blame the messenger.

In my opinion there is little too much 'dealer knocking' going on on this forum at present without the full facts being made clear.