Most Basic Set up Access only

NickinMids

Is it not acceptable to use two friction hitches to go up a single or static "Doubled " line. I can see why you would have to descend on a figure of eight but not why it is unsafe to ascend with prussic/sling to harness and foot loop on another sliding hitch..? Sure I will be put right. Thanks

According to IBP, you should really have two points of attachment to an access system. That's not to say it doesn't work with one hitch. It does and a lot of people do it that way.

Assuming you're not thinking of having a pantin with it, the double prussik system you describe is a very old caving technique, and if you've ever tried it over long distance, it can be pretty tiring. As you're only tethered to one of your prussiks, it's taking your whole load on it's own when you sit to advance the footloop, and can bind tight. This makes advancing it very difficult.

If you're trying to keep gear minimal and low budget, I'd just add a pantin to the system so that you're never fully weighted into one or other prussik while you're trying to advance them. This will minimise binding and keep things smoother

Do yourself a favour mate, have a play when you've got backup around.

I jammed a Klemheist I couldn't reach when practising footlocking years ago and had to be rescued by a farmer chucking me another rope from a ladder.

Not exactly a proud moment.

Noted and thanks for advice:thumbup1:

Do yourself a favour mate, have a play when you've got backup around.

I jammed a Klemheist I couldn't reach when practising footlocking years ago and had to be rescued by a farmer chucking me another rope from a ladder.

Not exactly a proud moment.

This has happened to me once, was quite panicky, but I managed to stand up on the rope and loosen the knot.

I think that's why the klemheist is used, it's relatively easy to unbind.

Any srt system used must always be backed up and there are many ways of creating a srt system from a hitch climber and vt system backed up with a petzel buddy a foot pantin followed by an assender with a long foot loop on it which is also conected to the bridge in or the system i like is the rope wrench vt hitch climber combination backed up with a buddy having the rope wrench on allows desent as well as assent i can even be retrieved from the ground or converted when in the canopy to the normal climbing system i can post pics if required