Funny but serious by all accounts!!

Adam Bourne

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it's an added part of the system which is in a vulnerable position, but is it any more likely to come to harm than the tail end of a rope? Obviously a rope under tension will cut easier, but any part of a rope which has a lump of tree dropped on it will not fair well.

Perhaps not.....but harming the tail line of a Ddrt rope is not comparable to what could result in harming a base anchor

Not being ignorant I'll be out for a few ours but maybe this post is turning out to be a great discussion for all!!

Regardless if what people may think about what I've heard or think I've heard what I've said is gospel and I don't lie!! I'm happy working SRT and have been for over a year now! I feel at the top of my game and have no issues regarding any system I use!! But please don't think I'm a beginner!! :)

Yes, it's an added part of the system which is in a vulnerable position, but is it any more likely to come to harm than the tail end of a rope?

Yes, because as you say it's under tension, if you want to cut a piece of rope with a knife quickly you pull it under tension, you don't just leave it sitting on the deck where you would get no purchase.

I doubt that. There is obviously confusion about the safety of base anchors, but I don't think the "two bits of rope" issue stems from it.

There could be people who don't understand SRT work positioning and assume the only option is a base tie off, this is what meant re 'confusion'.

For serious pros there's no confusion about SRTWP with the base tie off, we all know it obviously carries a higher risk of failure than DbRT or SRTWP with a top tie off.

Perhaps not.....but harming the tail line of a Ddrt rope is not comparable to what could result in harming a base anchor

Agreed. What I really meant was, are people stupid enough to be trashing their's or someone else's ropes? Do saws come into contact with climber's tails on a regular basis? If so, there are bigger issues in the industry than what part of the tree the climber is tied to.

I've been climbing SRTWP for about three years now, during which I've probably worked with around 40-50 different groundsmen. I mostly base anchor for work, unless rigging or slamming lumps out. In that time, I've only ever worked with one person who made me think twice about the safety of my base anchor with him near it, that was after I'd explained what it is and not to use a saw near it.....twice.

Edited by Dan Curtis

I was on a training course a little while ago and although the instructor was well up for srt for access, he was against for WP. When I asked why, he said cos if you hit your hitch in srt you will free fall a lot quicker than in drt!? There was also mention that you are only tied in once with srt?

I will add though that he was a really nice chap and a very good teacher, the only thing he didn't seem to know much about was srt, the rest of the course was splendid!

I was on a training course a little while ago and although the instructor was well up for srt for access, he was against for WP. When I asked why, he said cos if you hit your hitch in srt you will free fall a lot quicker than in drt!? There was also mention that you are only tied in once with srt?

I will add though that he was a really nice chap and a very good teacher, the only thing he didn't seem to know much about was srt, the rest of the course was splendid!

I'd assume what he meant was something getting stuck on top of your hitch and forcing it into descent. Given a few variables; pulley saver, big natural crotch etc, you may fall fractionally slower on DdRT. Fractionally.

If your wrench system is setup correctly, the wrench should not touch the top of the hitch even when fully disengaged. Furthermore, if something lands on your hitch doubled rope, what is the difference? If anything the hitch should lock harder single line with the wrench not engaged as it is taking all of your weight.