(First post) Planting a native woodland, East Sussex

No point unless you're going to do it at least every couple of years; soil rapidly reverts to type, especially sandy soil as it can't bind chemicals as soil with finer particles (clay at the far end of the spectrum) can.

Unless you're on extremely acid soil (Ashdown Forest? - no fishing for your top secret location there then) the trees will cope. They may not find conditions ideal but they'll cope. Wikipedia on Field Maple states that it is 'more commonly found on alkaline soils than on acidic soils'.

Edited by nepia

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're not 1,000,000 miles away from the Ashdown Forest but further than 7km :)

My neighbour's wood has quite a lot of rhodie in it which implies acidity. Around our boundary we have oak, beech, holly, willow, hawthorn, gorse, birch, ash (1!), sweet chestnut (1!), hornbeam (1!), privet, elder, Scots pine, leylandii*, apple and pear. I think there's a sycamore in the hedge too. Sounds idyllic when I list them like that!

I'll see what happens. If they change them, then all well and good, otherwise we'll just see what will happen

* doomed

Few thoughts as I've been doing similar. Field maple is fine on acid as is whitebeam, just prefers alkaline.

Firstly you're aiming to plant 1500 trees. You're starting very late and aiming to use tree guards, stakes and planting mats. Do you have an army helping you? I've planted 1200 on my own this winter, started in October. I'd ditch the mats and embrace the glyphosate. It is totally inactivated by contact with soil so no problem with run off. It is your friend against brambles. Trees don't like competition so you need to keep them weed free.

So get lots of friends in, plant as quickly as possible and get on with it as they're starting to sprout. You can get sweet chest nut which is ideal for sand from 3fatpigs nursery very cheaply. Make sure you've got sessile oak and not English.

Other species to consider - Sycamore or platanoides as grows very quickly and good logs. Wouldn't stick entirely to natives. With global warming, you are planting for 70 years hence. So robinia is a good idea and Italian Alder is ideal. Holly likes sand as does Larch, which is beautiful. Pterocaryia fraxinifolia is easy from seed and ideal for your soil. Red oak and palustris are worth considering as will thrive. Also if you're thinking sorbus then torminalis will grow well. Finally wych elm and small leaved lime are good.

In addition don't forget that there won't be anything for birds to nest in for decades. So a few clumps of Laurel and half a dozen leylandii would be on my list and I'd make some nest boxes.

Have fun!

You're starting very late and aiming to use tree guards, stakes and planting mats. Do you have an army helping you?

You could always have a "planting day", you supply the beer and burgers in buns, sure there would be some takers for a day out in the country.

Good photo opportunity for the "woodlands trust" or local rag "community tree planting event" very green.

H-A

Depends on whether the suckers develop their own fibrous root system, as in the case of a lateral that's been layered. I suspect they do develop such a system as, if left, they will develop into fully adult plants.

Yep, they do. I have been busily converting the emerging thickets of small blackthorn surrounding the telegraph poles along the edge of our field into a new hedgerow, which will be laid in due course. In our case suckering is not a problem as our side is a ploughed field (which will now be about 10' wider) and the other side is a road which should stop it from suckering.

Alec

Few thoughts as I've been doing similar. Field maple is fine on acid as is whitebeam, just prefers alkaline

I've exchanged the whitebeam for more alder and aspen but can always try and get some more next year

Firstly you're aiming to plant 1500 trees. You're starting very late and aiming to use tree guards, stakes and planting mats. Do you have an army helping you?

I have some help. I planted a bareroot hedge of about 100 whips in a morning, with membrane, canes and spirals. I know it's a bit later than desired but couldn't afford it without the grant and they took their time. Slit planting is quick and the membrane can wait for a few days. 175 of the plants will be hedged which is fairly quick to do. I take your point about the glyphosate but we'd like to look into organic status if we grow any produce to sell and despite all the good stuff about it, I don't like the thought of spraying chemicals onto my land (and I know putting plastic mats down is hardly environmentally sound but I've made my choice)

You can get sweet chest nut which is ideal for sand from 3fatpigs nursery very cheaply. Make sure you've got sessile oak and not English.

Nope, English. Sessile prefers better drained soils, I read. We have pedunculate oak around the place anyway and I won't be relying on those for fuel. What makes you recommend sessile, out of interest?

Other species to consider - Sycamore or platanoides as grows very quickly and good logs. Wouldn't stick entirely to natives

The MOREwoods scheme only offers natives. I agree, sycamore sounds ideal for what I want and I'll probably put some in next year to replace the inevitable die offs. I'd also like robinia and ash, neither of which were offered. Italian alder wasn't an option either. We have plenty of holly already in the hedgerows. Hadn't considered larch, don't think it was offered.

In addition don't forget that there won't be anything for birds to nest in for decades. So a few clumps of Laurel and half a dozen leylandii would be on my list and I'd make some nest boxes.

Have fun!

Thanks! There are some great species to consider for next year. We have a woodland next door and plenty of mature trees around the property so birds aren't short of places to nest. I'm thinking of putting up some posts in due course, with boxes on. Again, laurel and leylandii weren't offered and I wouldn't plant the latter anyway as I don't find it attractive. Have plenty to cut down anyway that will provide decent logs after some good seasoning

English oak is generally on heavier soils with sessile on sand. But if they grow locally in your conditions, then go with it. Putting on the mats later will certainly speed things up and I understand your wish to avoid chemicals. Certainly if you've got lots of surrounding trees for nesting then I'd not use the leylandii or laurel.

I find the "natives only" debate really difficult. Yes you need to plant a lot of native trees both standards and shorter lived stuff. But non-natives don't have zero wildlife. It's difficult to be confident that in 70 years time, all of our natives will be growing happily. We've lost English Elm in my life time and now Ash over the next few years. So I personally grow 10% non native as an insurance policy. Many of these like Italian Alder grow quickly and can be harvested for logs if the natives are doing fine. With their fast growth they also quickly produce woodland and suppress the brambles. They provide nesting sites for birds. If you choose nitrogen fixers like alders then they help neighbouring trees to grow and besides I like them!

I agree with the native argument, to an extent, but the Woodland Trust don't grant for anything else. I've bought a few hundred spirals in addition to what they're supplying so can plant some differing species next year.

As I think I mentioned, I'm a bit confused that they offer sweet chestnut, which isn't native, but don't offer some others. Very tempted to order a load of robinia etc. but think I'll get this batch in first!