I would like to see what is inside this !

w6cloggs

Much as I like the TR70 I think you were wise to buy the bigger machine as it just makes the end product be small logs instead of sticks.

I listened carefully to your advice in this matter on a previous thread and it took nigh on two years to make a decision (which really is not like me at all). In the end we decided on a TR70 for the following:

It would run on a much smaller tractor so much more versatile in the field allowing inter-row access of thinnings, hazel coppice and even SRC Willow (if it works out).

Whilst the 110 would only be able to go on a big tractor and costs a significant amount more, to to be honest, the main reason we went for the 70 was that at 110mm we decided it would be turning nice saleable logs into rough logs with a limited market. We only wanted to create something out of what was previously being wasted.

Having now got one, the netted output is just begging to be used alongside a top loading boiler or straight into bins for small scale charcoal production. If used alongside a boiler then a 110 would most definitely be the one of choice.

We are looking forward to seeing how practical the chunks are to use in our own log burners but will need to wait for this seasons cuttings to dry first.

Seasoned stock seems to be more inclined to shatter whilst freshly harvested stock cuts very nicely but (I guess) is much more likely to develop mould once cut... so we are also trialling different drying techniques; racked out nets, palletised nets and cubic meter bins.

All interesting stuff!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes we are also limited by tractor size so the TR70 was the only option for us. It does make excellent charcoal and as you say anything that is too big for the TR70 will make perfectly good logs. Hope you don't feel I have been giving misleading advise.

Edited by Woodworks

Yes we are also limited by tractor size so the TR70 was the only option for us. It does make excellent charcoal and as you say anything that is too big for the TR70 will make perfectly good logs. Hope you don't feel I have been giving misleading advise.

Not at all. Your earlier findings and advice was key - it forced some serious deliberations on our part and helped us make a robust decision that was right for us so it helped enormously.